question

kevinnorth avatar image
kevinnorth asked

OK to overload an older style 150/85 mppt controller?

I have the older style 150/85 mppt Comfort which works great for my 2000w array. I have plenty of power in the summer, however, I live in the bottom of a valley and have very little sunlight in the winter. Coupled with that, my roof is easy facing and doesn't provide anywhere near the 2000w of like. I'm planning on adding a further 800w for winter use, but would like to avoid buying another controller. It's it OK to overload this controller? Ie will it only take the Watts out can use and dump the rest?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

The key factor is that you don't exceed the input voltage limit,150v, taking into account cold weather (-ve temp co-efficient) and the input current limit which I believe is 70A for that device (check the specs?). So, you need to know the Voc and Isc values for the panels and how are they wired (series/parallel config etc?, what voltage battery bank?).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevinnorth avatar image
kevinnorth answered ·

Thanks. You've answered my question in that amps mustn't be exceeded. Voltage isn't a problem, well under the max, even in winter. I was thinking that maybe it would just limit the input to the maximum amps, if more came through than the rated value...

2 |3000