question

allswell avatar image
allswell asked

24v System: Using Streetlight Function to control 12v LED landscape lighting?

We have a 24v system for our off grid home, and we also have a few strings of LED landscape lights that are 12v hooked up to some car batteries around our property, completely isolated from our 24v main system. I'd like to integrate these strings into the Streetlight Function on our VE components so that these lights can draw 12v from the 24v system with a step-down converter, and be automated with the Streetlight Function.

Can anyone help me clarify how I can do that please?

Streetlight
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
albert avatar image
albert answered ·

Add a 24V-12V DC-DC converter. I use an Orion in my 24V off grid system. It has an integrated remote on/off switch.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Orion-DC-DC-converters-high-power,-non-isolated-EN.pdf

Connect your 12V lights to the 12V output of Orion.

Connect the LOAD output of 24V charge controller to the remote switch connector on the Orion. Configure Streetlight mode on the charge controller to switch Orion, and thereby ypur lights, on and off.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

albert avatar image albert commented ·
If you (now or in the future) want additional loads on the 12V circuit that do not follow the streetlight on/off pattern, just add a relay. Connect charge controller Load (with streetlight configuration) to the relay. The other 12V loads then can be switched any way you want.
0 Likes 0 ·
allswell avatar image allswell albert commented ·
@Albert Great thinking. Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
allswell avatar image allswell commented ·
Thank you @Albert. Much appreciated. Yes, I have picked up the Orion step down converter and the solar supplier I use suggested I do the Orion > a dedicated MPPT 75/15 with TX Direct cable to Cerbo GX > 12v light circuit.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
allswell avatar image allswell commented ·

"Connect your 12V lights to the 12V output of Orion.

Connect the LOAD output of 24V charge controller to the remote switch connector on the Orion. Configure Streetlight mode on the charge controller to switch Orion, and thereby ypur lights, on and off."

Here's what's going on for me:

1. I have connected the lights to the 12v output of the Orion.

2. My 100/50MPPT does not have a LOAD output.
3. I do not see a "remote switch connector" on the Orion.
4. I can configure the settings on our VE 100/50 MPPT however there does not seem to be any way at all to connect them to it!

Please can you help me?

0 Likes 0 ·
bunya-solar-pl avatar image
bunya-solar-pl answered ·

Are you thinking of using the load output of the solar regulator or did you have something else in mind?

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

A simple solution would be to wire 2 x 12v lights in series.

1 comment
2 |3000

albert avatar image albert commented ·
If they were identical resistive loads (e.g. incandescent), yes. With leds it will depend on the design, so unless you know the design I would avoid doing it that way
1 Like 1 ·
allswell avatar image
allswell answered ·

Okay, so I've now tried and tried again and failed! I have purchased the Orion 24V-12V DC-DC converter (not the smart one), but my MPPT does not have a LOAD input on it... it's the 100/50 so I bought a 75/15 just to run the LOAD function on the 12v LED landscape lights that we have been running apart from our entire VE system/bank/array. No dice. The 75/15 has a LOAD output, and streetlight function but when I hooked it up I got an ERROR 66 on both it and my 100/50 MPPT. I do not know how to wire the 75/15 it would seem since it has BATT/PV/LOAD so knowing it needs power and will not be having solar panels attached to it, I wired the batteries to the input on the Orion > then the output on the Orion I connected to the PV of the 75/15 > then the lights we want to do the streetlight function were hooked into the LOAD outputs to power them. It worked, no problem but I could not get the 75/15 onto the VRM so I could see it and control it from the REMOTE CONSOLE (our entire reason for buying the Orion and second MPPT so it could connect to Cerbo GX and we could control the lights from anywhere).

All of this is getting frustrating and expensive. The store I bought the Orion and 75/15 and TX cable provides zero customer service for the things you buy there so I have no one to ask and they will not take these items back. This entire exercise has cost us about $700 so far and I'm discouraged.

I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Please HELP!

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The internal clock in the MPPT is very approximate and timed by input power from the panels. If you're driving it from an Orion with constant output it won't work as you want.

A couple of suggestions:

Add a 12V battery and small panel. Panel goes to 75/15, charge the 12V battery with the 75/15 and the Orion. Lights to the load terminals.

If you're clued up on microprocessors/arduinos, use one of these with an SPD to control the lights by switching the Orion on and off via the LH terminals. Sell the 75/15.

Use a timed relay driven by the 24V batteries or AC to switch the Orion on/off with LH terminals. This means fiddling with the relay clock every now and again. Sell the 75/15.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000

allswell avatar image
allswell answered ·

Thanks for the comment. I’m not wanting the lights on constantly so no constant output required. I was doing as u suggested in the past with a mini circuit and it’s own battery but I upgraded to this system plan because I do not want to have a secondary little battery. We need to run the lights from our house bank, hence the Orion/75/15/TX cable so that we can have the lights fully automated and never run out of power as our house bank has good solar.

Help?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The battery is simply because to work properly the MPPT needs to be connected to a battery. The panel is simply to give the MPPT light for operation, in this case you want daylight sensing and nominal charge. All that's needed is a small panel.

But whatever you do streetlight is simply on/off.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic