question

Richard Weir avatar image
Richard Weir asked

48v battery charging

If I want to get more low cost electricity (00:30- 04:30 Octopus Go) energy into my battery pack (20kwh of PylonTech) should I parallel another Multiplus 2 48/5000/70 or should I just add another charger. The load is probably max 5kw.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Richard Weir you're in the same boat as me. I have 21kwh total battery capacity and the 4 hours on the Octopus Go isn't quiet enough. I would like to switch to the Octopus Intelligent tariff but I need to change my EV charger for that or I have also been looking out for another 48v charger or a 24v to 24v DC to DC converter to take energy from my test ESS system as its a 2kW 24v charger. I don't think buying another 5kva Multiplus is a cost effective solution but I have been looking at the 1.2kva 48v Multiplus units as a solution as that would be more than enough to help fully charge my batteries along side my 5kva Multiplus II.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Richard Weir avatar image Richard Weir commented ·

Hi Jason, I’m actually only getting about 50% of my batteries charged over night and on a heavy day (c6°c) the batteries are going down to 20% and only recharging to 70% thus leaving them low for the next day. Another Multiplus 70a would bring everything up to 100% every night. The problem is discharging 140a into the batteries / cable / fuse which is / are rated at 100a. I have a supplier who will do one for £1200 inc vat which means a two year payback as I’ll be able to run the house circuits as well and save £3 per day. What do you think of the loading?

The SWA standard for 25mm x cable (single core) in free air is 152amps so I should be ok.

0 Likes 0 ·