question

techmuc avatar image
techmuc asked

Feed in excess - Battery Limits ignored, Excess not feed in

Setup:

• 2x Pylontech US2000C (max Charge current = 50A)
  • 1x MP2-3000
  • 1x 1500w inverter (Growatt 1500) on AC-IN (connected to grid)
  • DVCC Configured (max charge current 50A)

As soon as i activate "Feed-in-Excess" the charge current of DVCC is completly ignored and over 50A are sent to the battery. Even worse: When the battery is full, the loading continues..

How can I configure Feed-in-Excess correcly?

Screenshot 1: Max. current is ignored

1669025440409.png

Screenshot 2: Settings ESS

1669025467685.png

1669025773021.png

Thanks a lot for any help,

Timo

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingESS
1669025440409.png (30.0 KiB)
1669025467685.png (27.2 KiB)
1669025773021.png (24.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pekoc avatar image pekoc commented ·

Today I've realized I'm hitting the same issue. My BMZ battery is at 100%, the max charge current reported by BMS is 0A, DC feed in is active and was simply pushing 1 kW into the battery without exporting anything at all. I was watching it if it is just a spike which is going to be corrected but it was charging battery for several minutes without any change. I had to set the Grid Setpoint to negative value to get something exported and not charge the battery over the limits.

My setup is EasySolar-II GX + 2x MultiPlus-II 3000/48 in a 3-phase configuration running on fw v494, GX running on v2.92, MPPTs at v1.61.

Not sure if it is safe to upgrade MultiPluses to v500 now which is the only update available except for a release candidate v3.00~15 for GX which is probably still buggy.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
techmuc avatar image
techmuc answered ·

PS: I read https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/106290/bug-in-ess-dc-feed-in-enabled-charge-current-limit.html, but can simply not understand it.. Why is it suddenly not critical to go over 50A load charge, when "DC-Coupled PV Feed -in-excess)" is activated? This basically ignores the CCL from the battery parameters.

If there is no solution I will probably write a small program, which changes the ess set point dynamically:

• When battery is not yet full, but load charge >50A --> decrease ess-setpoint
  • When battery is >95%; deactivate feed-in-excess

Not happy about it, but probably safter than ignoring battery limits, right?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@techmuc

Yes the battry limits are ignored. It is in the manual.

6 comments
2 |3000

techmuc avatar image techmuc commented ·

Thanks @Alexandra - I still don't fully understand it, as the situation is imo technically unnecessary while the battery isn't full. The excess power (over the max charge current) could be easily put into the MP2 inverter.

1. Current situation: 70A panels --> 70A battery; 0A MP2 (idle, as growatt inverter is taking care of load)
  2. Alternative: 70A panels --> 50A battery, 20A --> MP2
0 Likes 0 ·
pekoc avatar image pekoc commented ·

But they should be ignored on MPPT side. It should not be ignored on MultiPlus side which should still respect the max charge current reported by BMS and use everything else for AC power generation no matter if all of that is used by loads.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pekoc commented ·

@pekoc

DVCC is the system the bms uses for system control, so the battery limit is ignored by the whole system during feedback as described in the manual.

If you need less charge from the inverter set it lower in the inverter. Or use the charge current control assistant to have it activate on certain conditions.

0 Likes 0 ·
pekoc avatar image pekoc Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Well, I'll probably go the way of disabling DC feed-in and use my OpenHAB automation engine to adjust the Grid setpoint to negative values based on current battery power when the SoC is close to 100%. Otherwise if CCL is not respected it could damage the battery in cases when the battery is close to freezing temperatures. It is probably not usual situation in ESS systems at home, but mine is placed in a cabin with no heating outside of the house so it can get quite low overthere, although it shouldn't go below 5°C.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pekoc commented ·

Temperature settings are adhered to as well as voltage and others. It is just during feedback the ccl cannot otherwise how to the power producing items produce power? They have to ignore the battery sending the stop producing signal to produce power to feedback. Cant really have both.

0 Likes 0 ·
pekoc avatar image pekoc Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yeah, but you can use some of the produced power to be sent to the grid if you are reaching max allowed power going to the battery. You don't have to limit the production on MPPT side, you can increase the power used by inverters to limit the power going to the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·