question

Nicolas avatar image
Nicolas asked

Multiplus residual consumption

Hello guys, thank you for the great support here in the community.

My Multiplus 12 / 800 /35 is sucking about 15w continuously even when no equipment is plugged on. 15*24h=360wh per day is quite significant in a van.

With the INTERFACE MK3-USB, I set it up as lithium and updated the software.

How much is the normal residual consumption and what could be done to decrease it, please?

20220702-142245.jpg

My installation:

2x150ah lifepo4 ECOWORTHY batteries in //, with 3x150w solar panels in //, through Victron MPPT SmartSolar 100/50, monitored with the Victron Smart Shunt, and converter / charger Victron Multiplus 12/800.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Docs are always your friend..

Also, remember there is an mppt, shunt etc that consume. Measurement accuracy at low loads is also not great.

c5ab4f66-7c31-412f-b346-52b402796633.jpeg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Curious me wants to know if the 2 battery meters on top of the battery give accurate readings??

Just to be sure, you have used the aux port of the Smart Shunt to measure the other (paralleled) battery.?

While you have the positive fuse out, do a zero current "calibrate" on the Smart Shunt.

EDIT.

Looking further at the batteries, the batteries have not been hooked up as cross diagonal. Battery balancing is not optimal. The negative lead from the shunt has to go to the other battery.

Due to the tiny eyelets on the neg wires from the battery monitors, the larger crimps are not seated flat on the battery terminal. (neg batt post under the big red knob)

2 |3000

Nicolas avatar image
Nicolas answered ·

@klim8skeptic

Thanks for your answer.

Exactly, I used the second port of the Smart Shunt to measure the other battery in //, is it wrong?

Actually, I don't even know where this second value is visible on the app.

Ok, done for the calibration.

Ok, I will put the tiny eyelets on top.

Ok, does the cross diagonal mean I switch the order of the 2 negatives?

The 2 battery meters on top always give the exact same value as my multimeter, found it useful for a quick check.sans-titre2.png

sans-titre2.png (210.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Ok, does the cross diagonal mean I switch the order of the 2 negatives?

Yes swap the lead that goes to the shunt, to the other battery negative. Wiring Unlimited manual, look at section 3.3 Parallel battery bank wiring .

The 2 battery meters on top always give the exact same value as my multimeter, found it useful for a quick check.

To check the battery voltage, they are probably ok. To check battery SOC, they are worthless. Put the effort into setting up the Smartshunt for reliable SOC readings.

Exactly, I used the second port of the Smart Shunt to measure the other battery in //, is it wrong?

Not wrong, just no point as both will read the same value. The cable to keep goes from the VBatt+ on the shunt, to the other end that connects to the batt+ under the GPO's. Keep the unused lead as spares, or use it to monitor your start battery (?). Refer Smart Shunt manuals.

0 Likes 0 ·