question

busyengineer avatar image
busyengineer asked

Victron 100/30 MPPT controller input voltage "flicker"/fluctuation

Hello,

I have 350 Watts of SunPower flexible solar panels on the roof of my motorhome connected in parallel to a Victron 100/30 MPPT SmartSolar Blu tooth controller. I recently noticed that the solar input voltage to the controller is "flickering" or very unsteady (not sure if this is new or not – just noticed it recently) for instance it goes 16.4, 15.2, 14.6, 16.5, 15.5, 14.3, 15.4, 16.1 etc. The output from the controller to the batteries is relatively steady. Is this normal? I would expect the output from the panels to be steady on a sunny cloudless day?

The output from the panels is steady when measured under no load at 19.9 VDC.

Is there potentially a problem or fault in the controller itself?

Does anyone else out there have a blutooth Victron Controller and if so is the input (on the smart phone app) steady or "flickering?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I would not be worried about this, the MPPT is doing its thing to extract the maximum power from the PV. Voltage is only half of the equation, current is the other half.
Look at the power output, that's probably fairly stable depending upon what your loads are doing of course.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.