question

sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 asked

Solar PV connected to Ac1

I have a multiplus 2 with grid tied solar connected on the AC in side. I am now looking to connect another set of PV to the ac1 output. Do I need to change any settings within the multiplus. Many thanks Steve

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

17 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Sjh126

If you have ESS assistant loaded you will have too update it to include this PV inverter connected to AC-out.

If you do not use ESS assistant you will have to load "PV inverter support" assistant.

Make sure that the PV inverter connected to AC-out is less powerfull than Multiplus-II you are using.

Some settings in GX will be needed too.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sjh126 avatar image sjh126 commented ·

Great thanks for that. All done

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Are you saying the remote PV will trip the RCD feeding the AC-In of the Multi when connected to the its AC-Out but not trip the same RCD when it is connected to the AC-In? In which case it is a complete mystery to me.

If you find the answer please post it here as I am curious to know what it was.

2 |3000

sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

So I did all the necessary all the necessary alterations within the ess to allow for power in from extra solar connected to output 1 on the multiplus, but now when I switch on the extra solar it trips out the mains supply to the multiplus!

Any ideas marekp

1 comment
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·
@Sjh126

More data is needed.

1. PV inverter power on AC-in

2. PV inverter power on AC-out

3. MP-II size

4. Breaker size on AC in.

5. Diagram of the system

0 Likes 0 ·
sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

Thanks for quick reply

1 & 2 Both solar PVs can input up to 3800 each, although when I tried switching in the second PV they were producing about 250 watts each ( cloudy day here)

3 multiplus is 48/5000/70

4 50 amp

5 the diagram is a bit tricky! I basically have the main PV connected on the grid side of the multi and the PV coming into the multi output 1 is being switched over from a totally different grid connected solar inverter via automatic change over switch. That other grid connection is about 45 metre's away in a shed

1 comment
2 |3000

@Sjh126

when I switch on the extra solar it trips out the mains supply to the multiplus!

Can you closer describe what is happening?

What is tripping?

0 Likes 0 ·
sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

When I switch over the change over switch to take the solar off the shed supply and send it to the house multiplus output . It trips out the 50 amp double pole switch that supplies the multiplus from the house grid supply. I don't think it happens straight away maybe 20-30 seconds later .I need to check that tomorrow again. Like I say the current coming into the multiplus output must have been minimal

Thanks Steve

2 comments
2 |3000

@Sjh126

Ask electrician to check the wiring.

It looks like there is major short somewhere.

To trip 50A breaker on the AC side is not a small thing.

0 Likes 0 ·
sjh126 avatar image sjh126 marekp commented ·
Will do, it's going to be a few days I guess and I'll come back to you if that's ok
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

If it trips when generating only ~250W it sounds more like an earth leakage trip than overcurrent. You say it is double pole, are you sure it is just an MCB not an MCBO or RCD?

Maybe there is a spurious N-E link somewhere or an anomaly in the changeover relay setup. What happens if you temporarily hardwire the second PV to the AC-Out?

2 |3000

sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

Thank you for your reply. You're right the double pole that is tripping is an RCD. It's the main switch that supplies power to the multiplus input.

It seems strange that the new set up isn't tripping anything on the output 1 RCD protected consumer unit as this is where the alterations have taken place. Both RCDs have the same tripping values. Thanks Steve

2 |3000

sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

I will try hardwiring the second PV though. The changeover switch looks like a cheap looking thing!

2 |3000

sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

Although I haven't taken the change over switch out of the circuit yet it would appear all that side of things is ok. I can switch over the change over with the remote pv switched off and all is ok . The multiplus's supply trip only trips out when I re introduce the the solar to the multi's AC 1 output circuit.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Sounds like the problem PV inverter may have the neutral wired wrongly and so there is a current imbalance causing the trip. Check it has got the live and neutral wired in the same topology.

Otherwise it may have an earth leakage fault but then as you say why doesn't it trip the other breaker?

If you still can't find the fault please post a wiring diagram here, hand drawn will do.

1 comment
2 |3000

Oh ok I'll check the inverter wiring tomorrow. Having said that it has always been fine for the 3 year's it's been connected to the sheds mains supply. That supply is a totally different grid supply and meter

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Maybe in that case something about the inverter wiring is causing a wrong connection between the neutrals or earths of the two different mains supplies.

2 comments
2 |3000

Good morning.

Well I took all of the automatic changeover switch gear out of the circuit this morning wiring the remote solar inverter directly to the consumer unit on the multiplus output 1.

Again it tripped the main multiplus input RCD

Reconnected the solar back to it's own grid supply and it's working fine, doesn't trip anything in that consumer unit.

The guess I could alter the wiring again and feed the remote solar into the grid side of the multiplus and see what happens but then I lose the solar supply to the ups side if we have a long grid outage.

thanks Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
sjh126 avatar image sjh126 sjh126 commented ·
Ok so I've temporarily wired the remote solar into the grid side of the multiplus and all is working. Nothing tripping out. It appears the only time the main multiplus supply rcd trips is when I have the remote solar wired into the multiplus output 1, this being what I would ideally like to achieve. I can confirm that I have altered the settings within the ess to except pv input on output 1.

Thanks Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
sjh126 avatar image
sjh126 answered ·

Yes but it's not actually connected to the multiplus side of it's rcd so can't trip that. It's connected to the existing house pv consumer unit that in turn is connected via Henley blocks to the existing meter tails.

But it's not tripping that PV consumer unit RCD. I was starting to wonder if there was some sort of fault in the remote solars armoured cable that I'm using to connect it back to the multiplus output 1. But everything is fine running through the house solar consumer unit. But trips the multi's ac in RCD if I connect to the multiplus output consumer unit!

1 comment
2 |3000

sharpener avatar image sharpener commented ·
What happens if you connect it via the RCD that feeds the AC-In to the Multiplus? I thought you had already tried that, but on re-reading the posting above it appears that you have not. Maybe this RCD is more sensitive than the other. You could also try swapping the two RCDs if they are mechanically and electrically the same to rule this out.
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Still not clear about the various connection regimes, can you please post a diagram?

2 |3000

michaelvh avatar image
michaelvh answered ·

I am very curious for a diagram as well on this one.

Not related to your RCD problem, the inverter that you wired to AC-out, it needs to be throttled in case your grid is out and the batteries are full, in order not to cause serious damage to system. Considering it was grid-tied before, is it now configured as such? I believe the country code should be set to microgrid

2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

It sounds to me, if I understood correctly, that both parts have seperate grid feeds and meters. If I understood correctly, it's likely that the two different grid feeds are on different phases making it imposible to sincronise apart from jumping from 230V to 400V. Could this be the case? Two seperate grid feeds?

2 |3000

stef123 avatar image
stef123 answered ·

It sounds to me like you're providing a parallel neutral or earth path bypassing the RCD so it will trip as it'll see an imbalance, you can't have AC out 1 connected to AC in with them both live..

2 |3000

qldnico avatar image
qldnico answered ·

The answer might be late but have you tried to change the RCB for a MCB worked for me

2 |3000