question

Kristof G. avatar image
Kristof G. asked

quattro charger absorption End amps

hoi,

i've read something online

"

End Amps

End Amps is a trigger used by the charge controller to determine that the battery bank is fully charged and no longer accepting current. It is important to properly program the End Amps setting at the time of install. If this is programmed incorrectly or incompatible with the battery type sulfation will develop quickly.

As a battery reaches full state of charge its charge acceptance drops considerably. Typically, when the charge current falls below 2-4% of the battery capacity for 60 minutes the battery bank is no longer accepting charge and the Absorption phase should be terminated. Flooded batteries have a higher internal resistance, so we recommend setting End Amps at 2%. VRLA batteries, such as AGM & GEL, have a lower internal resistance. For these models it is recommended that End Amps be programmed closer to 3-4%.

"

where in the quattro can i setup the end amps to go from absorption to float mode?

Or how much is programmed in the quattro?

i see that on the shunt, but for what i know the quattro doesnt use that value and that value is just to auto sync the 100%

kristof

battery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kristof G. avatar image Kristof G. commented ·

Ok,

Ive called a Victron installer ...and he told me that my problem with my absorption current is related to my load (ac output), i will test this statment this weekend and load my battery in absorption WITHOUT loads connected ( i dont think thats the solution, but still :-) )

Absorption usual goes good till a point that he keeps on putting 30 a 40a into battery : like this graph

*error on picture uploading- no space left on device*

BUT in float he goes from 60amps to almost 6amps in a very nice curve, how is that possible?

*error on picture uploading- no space left on device*

Will edit with pics later, the upload does not work.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

In the VE Configure app, it's a separate windows only app and requires an MK3 to USB adapter.

If you're using a battery type that the Quattro supports out of the box you should be fine. There should be dip switches you can flip to select pre-programmed battery types.

I have a VLRA AGM bank and adjusted my absorb voltages down a tick, but the tail off current in your quoted text doesn't make sense to me. Everything I've read says 1 to .5% of capacity for AGMs is good, and that's about what my Multi-plus defaults to. (I'm pretty sure the quattro and multiplus are identical in this regard)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

In the ve.config you can not (only battery ah and bulk end and the the load current , " i think ") setup the tail like you can do in the ve.can shunt ( i have, and set to 4% for 3min),

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

You can no longer set end amps for absorption charging. This used to be part of the software, but they removed it a while back.

Some of us have asked if they would consider adding it back. It is the best way to configure charging for many battery chemistries.

3 comments
2 |3000

I am happy you tell me that, i vote also to get it back... or that the color takes it from what you put into the shunt... maybe a option for the DVCC section?

Tip ? @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Kristof G. avatar image
Kristof G. answered ·

Ok,

Ive tested like the victron installer said.. 'without any load'...( i even did it without solar, to get a steady current ) and as i thought what should happen...happens...= didnt work neither...

End of absorption was the end of the max. Time in absorption... (5h)

I did a reset to start over again in absorption mode, but its wurse, the amps ramp up and battery goes in high temp alarm. At that point i did reset to float mode.

The voltage is more or less stable at 60v.

If anyone has some more suggestions to try= shoot... pls.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic