question

joeccv avatar image
joeccv asked

Multiplus 3kva and sensitive equipment

I am planning a system that will use the multiplus 12/3000/120. A lot of time has gone into reviewing the details but I'm still concerned about running the equipment on the multiplus without causing damage.

The equipment in question is a magnetic stimulation therapy device that has a max power consumption rating of 2700va, operated from 120v via a 120-230v transformer. The machine requires a 20 amp outlet.

We ran the unit for 7 days straight for about 40 minutes at a time, with a varying number of clients. The unit generally ran at a power factor of .7 and pulls an average current of 3.6 amps. In the course of a seven client day it consumed roughly 1kw of energy.

The main concern is there is a chance of damaging the equipment if the power supply shuts off when in use. We are using 510ah of lithium batteries to power the multiplus, and there should be plenty of energy on reserve.

Having crunched the numbers my biggest concern is the peak power rating. The inverter will be in a climate controlled environment, theoretically. However, if the multiplus is operating at a higher temperature and it's output derates, it may not leave much margin for the equipment to hit peak power.

We don't really have any data to say how long the equipment operates at max power. The multiplus' peak power rating does seem to indicate that it would handle it just fine.

But is there something I am missing? Can anyone weigh in on this topic?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@JoeCCV

Are you measuing the 3.6a at 230v or 120v? You mention that there is conversion.

The 2700va (max rating) is under the 3000va of the inverter. So it should be fine. And even with derating will be ok, as your 1kw of energy useage sbows a much lower continuous run consumption.

0 Likes 0 ·
joeccv avatar image joeccv Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The 3.6a is at 120v. It is with the machine plugged into the transformer.

I also believe it should be fine considering the numbers and the indication of the power meter. But the machine itself costs $50k and can be damaged if it loses power during operation, so the end user is trying to have all the bases covered.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ joeccv commented ·
@JoeCCV

I can totally understand the caution.

Just make sure to use above the minimum required wiring size to prevent other issues that may arise fro grid dropping off and switching to inverting. And UPS function.

0 Likes 0 ·
joeccv avatar image joeccv Alexandra ♦ commented ·
This will be a totally mobile install. No grid except to recharge after the van comes back from it's daily service loop.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ joeccv commented ·
So it will be perfect then.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers