question

johnone avatar image
johnone Suspended asked

Will firmware solve Multiplus LFSM-O UK Grid compliance issue?

As others have noted, meeting new LFSM-O standards is currently a sticking point for Multiplus G99 compliance. For me (and anyone with kit on order) the crux issue is whether or not a firmware update is likely to provide a fix. On this thread, @Rob Duthie says it's a hardware problem, @ejrossouw says firmware will solve it:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/160177/victron-inverters-no-longer-approved-for-uk-dno-gr.html
Below is a the relevant part of a report from an NG engineer - can anyone make sense of this and does it help indicate whether its likely to be a firmware or hardware issue?

Thanks

· Limited Frequency Sensitive Mode – Overfrequency test:
Failure (based upon requirements of ENA EREC G99/1-9)
LFSM-O is one of the technical requirements that ESS were previously exempt from. From September 2022, this is no longer the case.
Notwithstanding what is written in BS EN 50549-1, ENA EREC G99/1-9 makes it clear [in Section 11 (Type A Power Generating Module Technical Requirements), Figure 11.3 (Active Power Frequency Response capability when operating in LFSM-O)] that the Registered Capacity (Pmax) should be taken as the reference power (Pref), and not the actual AC output power at the instant when the frequency reaches the threshold (PM). Victron have seemingly used the latter.
The results for the ‘Test sequence at Registered Capacity >80%’ seem to meet the requirements of the EREC (calculated droop is 9.88%), but those for the ‘Test sequence at Registered Capacity 40% - 60%’, unfortunately, do not (calculated droop is 19.76%).

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Johnone

Victron is working hard to get this fixed, but it's not easy.

Unfortunately I don't have any forecasts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Thank you for your response @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) . even though it is not as optimistic and clear, in terms of a solution, as we would all have hoped for over here in the UK.

6 comments
2 |3000

As you know the problem is that we don't have it in our own hands...
0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) , I’m another UK Multiplus-II customer waiting to process a G99 application. Any progress with ENA since the last update?

Thanks,

Craig.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image johnone Craig Chamberlain commented ·

ENA Type Test Register currently showing 302 devices 'awaiting assessment' - i.e. they are being swamped with applications. More concerning is that all of the 'energy storage devices' which have been deemed compliant since the September new requirements are of the newer transformerless, fanless type of inverter (Sunsynk, Fox ESS, Sofarsolar). Remains to be demonstrated if the robust but crude Multiplus boxes will ever meet the new UK grid regs - great kit for marine, off grid etc but for domestic ESS, maybe not??

Also, for domestic use, the specs for the newer type of inverters now include noise data - e.g. <25db That's the new standard for domestic ESS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain johnone commented ·
@Johnone I had never heard of SunSynk but looks very interesting - and they are compatible with my Pylontech batteries so might be a fallback option if the G99 approval isn't forthcoming for my Multiplus-II. As for noise, I don't find the transformer hum on the Multiplus to be too bad, but the fan noise certainly could benefit from some refinement.
1 Like 1 ·
mrrikp avatar image mrrikp Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hello - is there any material update here? It looks as though ‘further information required’ is still the current status. My DNO has allowed the generator to remain connected on the basis that this should be solvable via software update but have indicated this will require disconnection if not resolved soon. This would mean I have to disconnect my Victron equipment at considerable expense and move to an alternative supplier.
0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain mrrikp commented ·
Hi, I managed to get a response from one of the UK Sales guys, Philip Gordon, who said that they are awaiting an updated test report from the lab which should resolve the remaining ENA issues. That was on Jan 7th and I’ve been watching for an updated certificate and ENA submission since then but nothing yet.

FWIW, I share your frustration.

HTH,

Craig.

2 Likes 2 ·