question

iand avatar image
iand asked

Multiplus II 48/10000 and VE transfer switch instead of Quattro

Given that the Quattro II 48/10000 isn't yet available and probably won't be by the time I need it (and I don't want to use the old Quattro model), can I get exactly the same functionality (for switching between generator and shoreline) using a MP II and the VE automatic transfer switch?

As well as changeover, is it possible to use the ATS auxiliary relay output as an input to the Cerbo/MP II to tell it to automatically change the input AC current limit from 39A (generator) to 16A (shoreline)?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I just created a software package for GX devices that reads a digital input and switches AC input settings (current limit and input type) between separate values for grid and generator. It also disables the "Do not start generator when AC1 is in use" when the transfer switch is "on generator" so that the generator would only autostart when the transfer switch is on generator.

https://github.com/kwindrem/ExtTransferSwitch

With this, a Multiplus and external transfer switch will function in much the same way as a Quattro using it's separate AC inputs for grid and generator.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image iand commented ·

Looks exactly what I was looking for -- thank you :-)

Have you actually tried this out and confirmed that it works OK, for example without any ATS chattering when it switches to the generator?

What happens to the display (e.g. Cerbo + Touch50) -- does the AC input label stay unchanged, or can this change as well? (e.g. from AC in to Generator)

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem iand commented ·
Thinking about this more, i doubt my external transfer switch package will change your "chattering" issue since the changes my software makes to the system would occur AFTER the transfer switch changes inputs.

This is just a guess but the chattering you describe might be because if the ATS switches with both sources present, the two sources are not in phase. The Multi will be in phase with the original source and when the switch is made, there could be a huge current flow between the now out of phase source and the Multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Kevin Windrem commented ·
I have a grid/generator transfer switch for my home power system and my travel trailer has a Multi Compact. I ran a test where I switched the home's ATS between grid and the running generator and back. The Multi drops the incoming AC connection when the switch occurs. When switching back to grid, I heard the Multi strain a bit just before it dropped the AC input connection. This was very very fast, maybe one cycle of the AC waveform.

So there is a period where a large current might flow when switching the ATS ahead of the Multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

One thing to keep in mind, this will not change the grid code on the Inverter. This a huge problem if you are running ESS.

A Quattro allows you to have LOM disabled on the Generator input and enabled on the Grid connection.

LOM does not play nicely with generators at all as it is continuously trying to shift the input frequency.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem shaneyake commented ·
Agreed. I would not use this or any other mechanism like the DMC in an ESS system.

The truly correct solution would be to update the Multi to have the LOGIC for two inputs even though it only has a single input and then use a digital input on the Multi to switch inputs.

1 Like 1 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I have not personally tested this because I do not have a system with grid and generator input. However there are others here that have:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/144073/generator-overview-enhancements.html

Yes, the label and icon will change between grid (or shore) and generator.

1 comment
2 |3000

That's great news,thank you. Looks like I can use a Multiplus II 48/10000 + 10k VE ATS if the Quattro 48/10000 isn't launched by the time I need it :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you can do this, however the the tile name wont change and you can only manually change the generator AC assist setting.

1 comment
2 |3000

I thought from other posts the ATS can tell the Cerbo to change the AC current limit using an assistant? May need to use Venus large and node red though...

Tile name wouldn't change, and starting the generator would also have to be disabled when the ATS is switched over to shore power, but again I believe this is possible.

You'd think this would all be very easy for a Cerbo to do, but it seems not... :-(

Using a Quattro II would be a lot easier but Victron won't give any advance notice about availability until it appears in the price list. How you're supposed to plan ahead given this beats me, but it's Victron policy... :-(

0 Likes 0 ·
dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

Not sure if this helps, but the new Digital Multi Control panels have a set of contacts on the back which can be connected to a generator.

For example on a boat, if your normal shore power input limit is set to 16amps, when the generator is then connected and the contacts are closed on the Multi Control, a second different input current limit is enabled, such as 32amps.

2 |3000

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Looking at this again, triggered by another question...

The setup would be a Multiplus II 48/10000 with a VE 10k ATS, with the shoreline (incoming AC) connected to L1 (input with voltage sensing) and the 9kVA generator connected to L2. If there's incoming mains on L1 then the ATS aux contact would tell the Cerbo to set the current limit to 16A, if there isn't then it would be set to 39A -- and if necessary for battery charging, the generator would be started (this would be disable is mains is present).

This needs two assistants, the current limit one triggered by the ATS and the generator one to start/stop the generator as required -- but only when there is no incoming mains.

Has anyone tried this and can confirm it works -- or if not, can say "yes this should be OK but I haven't tried it"?

Changing the Cerbo display label from AC mains to generator would be nice but may be a step too far...

5 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@IanD

I've tried using a 40A (230V) ATS with a 6kVA genset. The instant hit on the genset caused the ATS to cycle with a horrible chatter. I abandoned that idea instantly as it wasn't critical at the time. Just something to think about..

0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image iand JohnC ♦ commented ·

@JohnC which ATS input did you use for the generator, the sensing one or the other one?

The Victron VE apps note connects the generator to the sensing one but this is not what I'd do, I'd connect the incoming AC to the sensing input so that the Cerbo can detect whether this is live or not and start up the generator if required -- in the meantime the MP AC output would come from the inverter (powered by LFP battery bank) not the AC input.

If you connected the generator to the sensing input then you could get this chattering, rapid loading on the genset pulls the voltage down so the ATS switches back to the other input, so voltage goes back up, so ATS switches back, so generator voltage drops... :-(

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ iand commented ·
@IanD

Really rusty, it was a few years ago. But it would have been the secondary input of the ATS, with a standalone inverter on the 'sensing' one (and a decent load on). Not saying this won't work for you, just something to keep in mind.

0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image iand JohnC ♦ commented ·
@JohnC what I'm trying to do is pretty much exactly what a Quattro II does when switching between two inputs (grid and generator), but with a Multiplus II because the Quattro II 48/10000 isn't available yet -- it should all be possible in theory, it just depends whether the software (and hardware) will allow it...
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ iand commented ·

@IanD

Amazingly, a similar question asked just today.. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/171342/multiplus-ii-ac-input-ramp-up-time.html

(I felt obliged to attempt an answer, hey)

0 Likes 0 ·