question

hyboot avatar image
hyboot asked

Does a MPPT controller have an output contact to drive a charger on/off ?

I have a quattro 8000/48 on my boat and I want to add solar panels. My battery is a LiFePO4 with a third party BMS. Currently the BMS has an output relay that drives the charging function of the quattro on or off. For so the relay contact is connected to the external CTN input of the quattro. When shorted, it simulates an overtemperature condition which shuts the charger off.

I would like to add solar panels and a MPPT controller, but I would like that when solar power is available, the Quattro do not charge to save shore energy which I must pay. Is there such a function in the Victron products?

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
zuzullo avatar image
zuzullo answered ·

Nice question :) I am very curious for the answer.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Yes, for some models you need an extra cable, others have it standard. see the list in the overview datasheet:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-and-SmartSolar-charge-controller-overview-EN.pdf

the cable:
https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/ve-direct-non-inverting-remote-on-off-cable

For controlling the quattro you can use an assistant to correctly interface with the BMS.

for 'solar priority' you can use multiple options, depending on your installation. A simple one is to configure a lower charge voltage in the quattro than in the MPPT.

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

If you want the Quattro to totally stop charging when the MPPT is charging, then you could use the MPPT relay output, driven based on either the 'day detection' or 'panel voltage high' trigger options.

Then wire the relay to the Quattro 'Aux In' terminals and configure an assistant in the Quattro based on the 'Aux In' being open or closed to 'Ignore AC In'.

If you want to be even more creative you could wire another relay in series - switched based on SOC% (such as a BMV relay).

That way it would only ignore AC In when the MPPT is active and the battery is above the preset SOC%.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic