question

brynwatson avatar image
brynwatson asked

Welding a vessel on water

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help answer my following concern.

I want to do some welding repairs on my steel boat (She is using shore power in a marina in Aust), I'm concerned about stray current damaging my boat (and others nearby).

Can someone tell me if it is safe to weld using sore power via isolation transformer, the theory/concept behind why, and anything/indications to watch out for ?

I thought there was a description about welding in one of the Victron publications but I cannot find it...

Kind Regards

Bryn

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Its unlikely you will get anyone to give you a yes or no answer, as there are two many variables.

in a PERFECT world you should not have a issue. as long as the Isolation transformer is installed correctly and everything is in good condition and there are no AC voltage leaks to hull - and the Welder being used is also in a one condition and correctly wired etc.

in other words the risk is all your risk.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic