question

aquabelle avatar image
aquabelle asked

Sharing Voltage & Temp data across a GX system

Hi: I have a CCGX on my boat, to which is connected a MultiPlus 12/3000 (via VE.Bus); and a non-Bluetooth MPPT 150/70 (via VE.Direct); and a SmartShunt (also via VE.Direct) on the AGM House bank negative. I want to be sure the MultiPlus and the MPPT are getting the best possible Volts and Temp data to optimize their respective House bank charging efforts. I have looked at the DVCC document but am still not absolutely clear....I do have latest firmware on all devices.

TEMPERATURE: The MultiPlus has its own temperature sense cable connected directly to a negative centre-battery terminal on the multi-battery House bank. The SmartShunt likewise has its own temp sense cable connected to the opposing positive centre terminal. I do not want to rely at all on the MPPT's internal temp sense capability.

VOLTS: the MultiPlus does NOT have a dedicated volt sense cable connected. It and (I presume) the MPPT are sensing House bank voltage at their respective output terminals

So here are my questions, first related to temp sensing:

1. Is the temp data sourced directly from the Multi's dedicated temp sensor, the best temp source for the Multi vs temp data coming from the SmartShunt via the CCGX and VE.Bus?
  2. Does the temp data sourced from the Multi's dedicated temp sensor get transmitted via VE.Bus back to the CCGX ....and if Yes, is it available via VE.Direct to the MPPT?
  3. If both Multi-sourced and SmartShunt sourced temp data are available to the MPPT, is one or the other likely to be more accurate? AND can the MPPT be programmed to prefer one source over the other?

Then on voltage sensing, I understand that connecting a dedicated Volt sensing cable between the Multi and the House bank will give more accurate Volts data. Assuming this is done and similar to the temp questions above:

1. Is the Multi's volt sensing data available to the CCGX via VE.Bus and then to the MPPT?
  2. Is this likely to be superior Volt data for the MPPT than its sensing at its own terminals?

Multi & MPPT are equi-distant from the House bank and each pathway is equally easy (!) to cable. Thanks in advance for your help.

DVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

In the System setup menu you should have chosen which battery monitor to use, in your case this should be the SmartShunt on VE.Direct. In my system as below it is the BMV702 on VE.Direct.

Then you go into the DVCC menu, turn on DVCC, then turn on SVS and STS then choose which temperature sensor to use and then turn on SCS. See screen shots.

screenshot-20221027-083813-kindlephoto-825766899.png

screenshot-20221027-083527-kindlephoto-825601963.png

screenshot-20221027-083647-kindlephoto-825679894.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
Once you have SCS, shared current active then the MPPT will use the SmartShunt as the battery charging current and you can set the absorption phase to end after a max of 4 hours or tail current set at 1%. This will make sure that the battery bank gets fully charged.
0 Likes 0 ·
aquabelle avatar image
aquabelle answered ·

Thank you very much for going to so much trouble to assist...appreciated.

2 |3000

Related Resources