question

friaras avatar image
friaras asked

Are the VE Direct to USB interface cables required to run Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi 4?

I have a few Victron pieces of hardware such as a smart charger controller and some smart shunts, and would like to monitor the backup system remotely. I can do this locally with Bluetooth since the hardware has it, but not remotely. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 and would like to install the Venus OS, in order to connect these devices which cables will I need? I was looking at the VE Direct to USB Interface cables, are these the correct cables? Are there any issues with this setup? I have seen some DIY cables done on some videos but I would rather get the Victron cables to avoid any possible issues. Thanks in advance!

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@friaras@gmail.com

Yes the cables are required.

The other limitation is the smart network needs to be disconnected if you are using one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

Hello, thanks for the reply! When you say smart network is that the VA direct network? I'm just using the app to monitor the 3 components and using their Bluetooth but I haven't setup a network, that is why I would like to setup the RaspPi so I can connected to the WIFI network. This is all new to me so my apologies if I'm not making any sense. Thanks again!

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Smart network is a Bluetooth connection between the components which you have to set up. It's not, for instance, Victron connect reading/adjusting settings via Bluetooth. If you didn't set it up, it's not there.

As @Alexandra said, it's not compatible with VE Direct.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources