Tom Ranson avatar image
Tom Ranson asked

Integration of wind turbine

Hi all,

Cerbo GX with ESS with DVCC

MultiPlus ii

SmartShunt

2x MPPT 100/30

24V battery bank (8x 6V FLA in series/parallel)

I have a 500W turbine which I want to integrate into the Victron system. This currently has a simple 24V controller. How should I go about safely integrating this with the existing system? Do I need to make any special considerations or can I just connect the controller output to the battery bank?

Many thanks.

Multiplus-IIESSHydro and Wind Power
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
sweyn avatar image
sweyn answered ·

Out of interest, when you say you have a 500W wind turbine, have you actually seen it produce 500W or does eBay seller say it is 500W?

ther is a very big difference.

500 W is a big turbine…

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson commented ·
Hi @Sweyn it's as advertised. I haven't seen it perform as such yet. My intention will be to implement it with a second SmartShunt in SC monitor mode between it and the battery bank, so I can accurately measure output.
1 Like 1 ·
Daniele Calabrese avatar image Daniele Calabrese Tom Ranson commented ·
I have the same question can you help?

i have solar panel with MTTP 100/50

Multiplus inverter

bmv-712

shunt 500 to measure alternator

2 battery 1 primary 1 bank ultracapacitor 400w

cerbo gx

ruuvi sensors

ubs gps antenna

NM2000 from certo to the rest of system

I would like to add silent wind it comes with its controller and then measure and report on VRM and control also balance engery production

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson Daniele Calabrese commented ·

@Daniele Calabrese hi, as far as I can work out, the correct solution is to install a dedicated Smart Shunt configured as a DC Energy Meter in-between the wind controller and the system. This then apparently allows VRM to display the data. There is an option in the SmartShunt DC Energy Meter configuration for energy meter type Wind Charger. This same approach can apparently be used for all 3rd party chargers, not just wind.screenshot-2022-10-22-13-06-30-87-30b6efbd53acd6f2.jpg

2 Likes 2 ·
Daniele Calabrese avatar image
Daniele Calabrese answered ·

Thank so much really helpful

I will do that. How would the system know when to charge from solar and or wind and or shore?

I put a shunt between the alternator that charges the battery when the engine is on and the cerbo. Any suggestion on how to configure it to see the current produced from this source?

Screenshot_20221022_210414.jpgScreenshot_20221022_210446.jpgscreenshot-20221022-210455.jpg

2 |3000

Tom Ranson avatar image
Tom Ranson answered ·
@Daniele Calabrese I believe you need to configure that shunt as a DC Energy Meter instead. Then it can report the current generated.

I'm not sure how the system can manage the charging from these multiple 3rd party chargers. The Victron kit doesn't have any ability to coordinate the current from the 3rd party chargers. Therefore I would speculate that there is a risk of overcharging the batteries? I really want an answer to how this would work and if I have to make any special considerations.

2 |3000

Daniele Calabrese avatar image
Daniele Calabrese answered ·

thanks I tought so and I will ask my installed to review the configuration the did the installation but not make any change to the software. at the moment the sustem is managing charge from shore, solar and alternator with the soft cov in the MPPT, BMV and Multiplus inverter. the problem I have now is taht when the voltage soes below 12,1 the inverter continues to produce 220v from the batteries but my 12v systems goes down and should be the referse

2 |3000