question

jakudo avatar image
jakudo asked

Panels on SE and SW and one MPPT 150/100

Hi,

I'm going to have an installation of 12x Sunpro 450Wp panesl and 1x MPPT 150/100-Tr. Is it OK to have 2 panels heading SE and 10 panels SW? Or is it better to have all of them heading SW?

SE - 40°

SW - 25°

There is no obstacle on either side of the roof for whole day. So I have the sun from sunrise to sunset.

screenshot-2022-10-16-at-112730.png

Thanks a lot,

Jakub

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @jakudo can’t comment on what direction to face the panels but I can suggest that if you have panels in two different directions you would likely benefit from having them on seperate MMPT controllers.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jakudo avatar image jakudo commented ·
Hi, @Sarah thanks for the information. Well it was designed by the company which is doing the installation in my house, so I hope it will works :)

I have a plan, in future, to expand the system, so at that time, I will move the 2 panels from SE side of the roof the the SW side and create a new array in SE side with separate MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Those solar panels havea Voc of 49.8V @25ºC, colder temperatures mean higher Voltage. This means that you can only have 2x panels in series resulting in 6 parallel strings. So you could put 2x panels on your SE side and 10x panels on your SW side although not too sure that there will be much benefit with so many strings in parallel. I would rather have all panels facing the same direction into a single MPPT controller.
In any case all six srtrings need to have their own fuse, that's important.

1 comment
2 |3000

jakudo avatar image jakudo commented ·

Cannot say what the wiring will be. This will be done by the montage company. They have already installed the panels on my roof and they will install the rest (3x multiplus-II 48/3000 + 1x MPPT 150/100 + 3x pylontech US300C) within 2 weeks.

I belive they will do the wiring (including fuses) well. It is a very good company in my country and they specialize on Victron.

As I menitoned before in my answer to @Sarah, I will expand the system later (hopefully next year) and add more panels. So then I will move the 2 panels from SE to SW, so all panels from MPPT 150/100 will be oriented the same and put 4-6 new panels on separate MPPT on the SE side of the roof.

I think it would have some benefit to have panels on both SE and SW sides. There is no obstacles, so even in winter, the roof get the sun light very soon.

screenshot-2022-10-16-at-130634.png

As you can see in the picture, the SE side gets the sun from about 8 am in winter. Not much, but still something :)

0 Likes 0 ·