question

sharpener avatar image
sharpener asked

Adding a Smartsolar 250/60 to a MP II-GX 5k and Pylontech setup

The existing system is running ESS with PV inverter on AC-Out 1. I plan to add more panels and a Smartsolar 250/60. Its manual says

There are two exceptions to normal operation:
• When used in an ESS system; the solar charger algorithm is disabled; and instead it follows the curve as mandated by the inverter/charger.
• For CAN-bus Lithium batteries, like BYD, the battery tells the system, including the solar charger, what charge voltage to use.

What else do I have to do (i) to achieve normal operation with control from the ESS using a VE.Direct connection to the MP II-GX? Can the setup all be done over this link, as there is no smart phone available? None of the standard settings appear to be suitable for a Pylontech Force-L2 as they only have 15 cells

(ii) to protect the battery in the event of malfunctions of the charge controller or the BMS?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@sharpener

You need an mk3 to usb adaptor to program the inverter with a laptop and ve config (for ess) or victron connect (for the basics)

The mppt can also be programmed with connect and a latptop and a ve direct to usb adaptor. Although it is hard to imagine a person without a smart phone or laptop these days

You can program the mppt over the vrm and victron connect if ve direct connected.

If there is a loss of comms from the bms the #67 bms lost state will appear in the system and the system will stop charging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Thanks @Alexandra.

<You can program the mppt over the vrm and victron connect if ve direct connected. >

Yes I do have a laptop and this is how I have been programming the inverter up to now, and I have a VE..direct cable on order so that is the way to go.

Good to know BMS failure will shut it down.

But what settings do I need to put in the mppt for my Pylontech batteries, or is it all automatically configured by the ESS and/or BMS anyway so I can leave it on the defaults?

2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

The same charge parameters, which was used for setting up the Multiplus-II, should be set on the MPPT (52V Abs and 51V Float) as well it should be set to LifePO4. Easily done via VictronConnect. If the Cerbo connection with the MPPT is lost or fails, then the MPPT will do its own thing and this is why it is important to do this.

1665747606851.png

Selecting the Testbench installation above will show the configurable devices as below e.g. Smartsolar

1665748006784.png

When you then select e.g. the Smartsolar, you can change some of the settings as shown below.

1665745466273.png

1 Like 1 ·
1665748006784.png (74.0 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@sharpener

Everything you need to know is in this manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

But in short absorption is 52v

Float is 51v

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Thank you both. Not entirely straightforward, it would help if there were a Pylontec pre-set but I have now created one for myself.

2 |3000