question

ettienne avatar image
ettienne asked

MultiPlus II fuse size

The recommended fuse size for the MultiPlus II 48/3000 is 125A. The dealer recommended only 80A fuse. I do understand that Victron is taking the 6000w / 48v to get to 125A. Does this mean that the 80A fuse will blow when the inverter caters for appliances startup demand?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

A 'slow' 80A fuse will be sufficient in most cases, 80A * 48V = 3.8kW and will not blow except if you manage to overload the inverter for long times somehow.

A 125A fuse can be used also, if the cabling is up to this.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ettienne avatar image ettienne commented ·

Thank you for the advice Boekel. I will be using 35mm wire so I am not sure if this will handle the 125A

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ ettienne commented ·

80A is plenty for a 3k 48V system

35mm2 and 80A also perfect, I'd go 50mm2 for 125A.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay avatar image Jay boekel ♦ commented ·

What about on the AC side? The Multiplus II 48v 5000 has a max AC input of 50A according to datasheet. So in ESS mode, the AC fuse should be 55A/63A? Would this suffice for peak power etc? I assume daisy chained units each would have this AC fuse then a rotary isolator accordingly of the same AC amperage?

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image sharpener Jay commented ·

I have mine on a 50A Type C circuit breaker and it has not tripped in 6 months of use as a whole-house ESS. And a rotary isolator to meet the UK requirement for a two-pole switch that is lockable. For compactness this is actually a 4-pole 25A isolator with the contacts paralleled, which is OK as it is not intended to be routinely disconnected under load.

1 Like 1 ·
Jay avatar image Jay sharpener commented ·

Very helpful thank you. Under what condition had the 50A Type C breaker previously tripped?

0 Likes 0 ·