question

nvs avatar image
nvs asked

Smart Solar MPPT 100/20 12V rv grounding

Hi all,

For a mobile installation (rv) with this model (20A) the manual says :

Chassis grounding (only for the 20A model)

A separate ground path for the chassis ground is permitted because the chassis is isolated from the positive and the negative terminals.

Sorry, but when a manual tells me that it is allowed but not required, it confuses me...

Should I connect the ground of the controller to the rv chassis or to the lynx busbar ?

Thank you.

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Which ever is more convenient. - Assuming the ?RV is -ve earth, and the busbar referred to is the negative one...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nvs avatar image
nvs answered ·

OK for the negative busbar

2 |3000

donmacn avatar image
donmacn answered ·

This isn't an "answer" but perhaps a re-wording of the question to help me understand how I need to wire up this unit.

The 100/20 MPPT has the standard earth/ground connections for the wiring - battery, PV, load - and another ground screw on the heatsink/chassis. The wiring ones I get - no worries there, but what about the chassis ground?

As has been pointed out above: "the chassis is isolated from the positive and negative terminals". I read that to mean that the standard, wiring grounds do not earth the unit's chassis.

However, mounting the unit via steel screws, onto the sides of the metal battery box, which is part of the vehicle bodywork must surely be as effective a ground as any additional cable?

Simply, I think the ambiguity in the manual text is confusing me - which can be easily done!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual