question

ettienne avatar image
ettienne asked

MultiPlus II battery placement

I notice that the instruction guide suggests not to place the batteries directly under the inverter. Will it still be a problem if the inverter is placed 600mm above the batteries?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Etienne. If you're not dominated by 'standards', (the *rulez*), then commonsense should prevail.

Depends a lot too on the type of batts how much H2 they'll emit, but they should be well ventilated anyway. Sometimes you gotta step back and look at what else you also have connected close to the batts, like maybe isolators and fuses that could spark too. And if you're prone to poking about with alligator clips, multimeters or uninsulated spanners/screwdrivers, then the inverter will be the least of your worries.

Then look under your car bonnet. 48V demands extra respect, so allow.

I'm all for safety, but wouldn't have an issue with what you propose. Others might, and I welcome such dissent. Commonsense, hey..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ettienne avatar image ettienne commented ·

Thank you for commenting John. I have plenty of ventilation.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

If you have 600mm separation do you have an option of creating a compartment for either the battery or the inverter (with suitable ventilation for both)?

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes I can separate the battery and Inverter. Thank you for the idea

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

What kind of batteries do you have?

If it is any VRLA (Gel / AGM) or lithium, this distance is not applicable, it's about the corrosive gasses emitted by 'open' Lead Acid batteries.

3 comments
2 |3000

I have VRLA (Gel /AGM) batteries. So it is the corrosive gasses that is the issue then. I do understand the recommendation then. Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ ettienne commented ·

Actually they don't give off gasses unless something is very wrong (voltage too high) so anything is fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
ettienne avatar image ettienne boekel ♦ commented ·

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·