question

kuban-invertor avatar image
kuban-invertor asked

Mega Fuse 32V for 48V system

hi all! is it possible to use mega fuse 32V for 48V systems. Needed to protect MPPT 250/100. Thanks

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

16 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Kuban_invertor

Not really the arc protection is really where the problem is there.

The recommendation is between 120A and 140A there should be something in the 58v range for you there.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

@Alexandra

Here are the Mega fuses.

58-32v-mega.jpg

Where do you see the "important" difference that would disqualify 32V version in 48V system?

0 Likes 0 ·
58-32v-mega.jpg (235.6 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ marekp commented ·
@MarekP

Good practice is what I am quoting from.

Not picking a particular brand. Notice I did not say anything about that. Using a lower voltage fuse is considered bad practice because of arc fault ability. Arcing means fire. Fire = bad.

1 Like 1 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra

Writing on that fuse 58V will not make it different from the one with 32V on it.

"Arc fault ability" is directly related to the mechanical design of the fuse.

If mechanical design is the same "arc fault ability" is the same.

Here is the picture of two identical 125A fuses.

One marked 32V and the other 58V

There is only one difference between them. PRICE.

32V is 15zł

58V is 170zł :)

125a-58v-32v-mega.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
125a-58v-32v-mega.jpg (193.0 KiB)
@MarekP

Check their resistances. And then measure them under their loads in a circuit. Electricity is not about what meets the eye.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alexandra

Fuses with the same A rating will have the same resistance. No load or loaded.

0 Likes 0 ·
I was quoting from a best practice point of view. I did not mention a specific fuse at all. The cold resistance is the same. At the same time as I install for other people, insurance wont cover if i out a 32v in a 58v system now will they? And yes it will be because of the writing....
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Do what you like, it's your money and the life of your loved ones.

1 comment
2 |3000

semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj commented ·

!

1 Like 1 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

@Kuban_invertor
It's to do with the blast capacity (also known as rupture capacity) of the fuse. As Alexandra mentioned, a higher Voltage can cause a bigger arc and so the design of the fuse needs to be able to accommodate and contain the blast.
I would always recommend using properly rated fuses for the application.
For the same reason that DC rated protection devices are required in DC applications and not to use devices which are only rated for AC.

Also, bear in mind that the fuse is primarily there to protect the wiring, not so much the MPPT.

2 |3000

kuban-invertor avatar image
kuban-invertor answered ·

thanks for answers! if I understand correctly, the only difference is in the choice of "chamber", where the arc occurs and the fuse blows. price and true in more than 5 times )

2 comments
2 |3000

@Kuban_invertor

The funny thing is that this "chamber" is identical in both versions. :)

1 Like 1 ·
kuban-invertor avatar image kuban-invertor marekp commented ·

I also drew attention to this. The official supplier of Victron told me - put 32V and don't worry)

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Ask your insurance what they recommend.

2 comments
2 |3000

@Ludo

58V rated fuse will not help you, as far as insurance is concerned, because you will have no proof that you did not charge your battery above 58V.

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image ludo marekp commented ·
Ok, tell Alexandra, I went on from there.
0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

58V doesn't cut it for an 18S battery.

If you google "SF51" & "70V" you will find mega fuses (51mm centres) up to 500A rated for 70V.

2 |3000

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

48v should be 16s ??

1 comment
2 |3000

@Ludo

For 16s (LFP) the nominal voltage is even more than 48V.

Maximum voltage is above 58V.

See what is the maximum voltage on DC side for Multiplus 48V version.

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Absorption at 57.6, for me that's within tolerance for a 55v fuse, ofc 70 is the correct value

2 |3000

johnparvic avatar image
johnparvic answered ·

As others have said, breaking or rupture capacity is the real problem with mega fuses of any rating.

Depending on the chemistry and total voltage of your batteries, the fault current of a LiFePO4 battery can exceed 20kA hence the need for Class T fuses or other industrial fuses like NHxx. Anything else will just arc and catch fire!

YMMV.

Kind regards

John

1 comment
2 |3000

rotevery avatar image rotevery commented ·

Then why is Victron using Mega and ANL fuses in their model drawings?

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Arc is depending on voltage, in clean air it should be about 1mm at 1000v. You can use the class T on the primary Solar side of a static system, where 900v is standard to save on copper.

2 |3000

johnparvic avatar image
johnparvic answered ·

Hi Ludo

1kV/mm is the situation where high voltage causes a dielectric breakdown allowing current to start flowing.

Unfortunately, the issue here is different. When a fuse blows the current was already flowing and an arc will form at much lower voltages, worse with DC. Just try opening a switch on a DC circuit with a moderate load. It is quite easy to get an arc which, if you sustain the gap, will burn through the contacts in no time.

This is why HRC fuses exist and should be used where the source has an incredibly low source resistance e.g. LiFePO4.

Take for example the Pylontech US3000C - it has a short circuit current rating of 4000A but if you have 5 of these in parallel you are looking at 20kA.

Other battery solutions will have higher or lower ratings.

But the Mega Fuse has an interrupt rating of 2500A at 70V so I suggest they are not suitable even for a single unit. CNL fuses are similar.

Also remember what you are protecting - it's not just the equipment, it's the wiring too. If you have some batteries connected to some MPPT charge controllers and a hybrid inverter/charger then any of that wiring could see a fault current / short circuit fed by the batteries. So, just because the MPPT can only supply say 100A, and we protect that with a 120A fuse for example, if a short occurred at the MPPT connection the fault would be supplied by the batteries and hence any fuses in the circuit must be rated for the potential short circuit current.

Kind regards

John

2 |3000

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

What does victron suggest ?

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Comparison NH00 fuse vs Mega fuse.

20221005-0052361.jpg

2 |3000

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Yes, thx I know both, next Monday I'll be working on a machine with a 500kW pump connected to a inverter. But I don't believe NH fuses are made / necessary for 70v DC.

And handling of NH fuses is only allowed for trained personnel with appropriate equipment.

2 |3000

f9cme avatar image
f9cme answered ·
2 |3000

christiangurk avatar image
christiangurk answered ·

Maybe this here is also interesting:

https://www.littelfuse.de/products/fuses/automotive-passenger-car/high-current-fuses/mega-60v-high-breaking-capacity

Rated for 5kA @ 60V... That should be fine for 48V systems.

edit: Ok I see that it's only available in 450A rating. Could be fine for short circuit protection?!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic