question

nicolas-poitras avatar image
nicolas-poitras asked

Can BMV 712 read off Cerbo GX

Hello all.

Just installed a full Victron system in my Airstream: Multiplus II, Lynx Power in, Shunt and Distributor, Smart Solar, Orion, Cerbo GX and Touch 50. I also have 500 AH of BattleBorn Lithium. All is working well.

From the factory, I had a Victron MPPT controller. It’s in another part of the trailer, removed from the Touch 50, so I wouldn’t mind keeping it to check on battery SOC from two locations and also avoid having a hole in my wall!

I connected the MPPT Control to the Cerbo GX via the existing VE Direct cable that was there before. No chance. The MPPT Control won’t show anything. It’s dead. Thought the issue was that it was a solar charger control so I bought a BMV 712. No luck either. It remains off and shows no data.

Is there a way for the BMV 712 to display Lynx Shunt data through the shunt?

Thanks

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

I'd guess your ve.direct cable is broken, both mppt and bmv should work with cerbo without any problems.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nicolas-poitras avatar image nicolas-poitras commented ·

That’s the thing. I checked that by plugging both the BMV and MPPT control into the Cerbo GX using another cable. Still nothing. And when I plug the MPPT Control back into the BlueSolar, it lights up. So, the cable is good. Would there be special configuration in the GX I need to do to enable the BMV?

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Try setting "has dc system", I'm not sure it's necessary, but I've only commissioned a cerbo once.... can't remember that I set anything, bmv and mppt both popped up after restart

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The BMV display needs to be connected to a shunt and the shunt needs to be powered.

There is no path to power the BMV display through the VE.Direct cable or get data from the Cerbo.

1 comment
2 |3000

nicolas-poitras avatar image nicolas-poitras commented ·

Thanks all. Appreciate the answers.

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Ok, I totally misunderstood the question, never realized somebody would try this.

2 |3000

nicolas-poitras answered ·

Thinking about it some more...

I now have a hole in my wall where the manufacturer installed the MPPT Control at the factory which is now useless. I can leave the unusable MPPT Control there but I'd rather not.

I notice the Color Control GX has a VE Direct port and a separate power port. Could I use the existing VE Direct cable and tap into 12V power in the vicinity to place CCGX in that spot? And given I have a Touch 50, could the two coexist?

Thanks in advance.

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

No, only one GX device per system.

To locate your Cerbo at the "hole in the wall", you would need interconnects to all your components (MPPT, shunt/BMV, inverter/charger, ...), not just one VE.Direct cable. Depending on distance a passive HDMI repeater for just the touch 50 MIGHT work but is not supported.

An alternative would be a tablet or other device that can run a web browser. The web browser could then connect to the Cerbo and display the same screen as shown on the main touch 50 screen.

1 Like 1 ·
nicolas-poitras avatar image nicolas-poitras Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks Kevin. Just to make sure, I actually meant that I would keep the one Cerbo GX where it is and use the VE Direct cable that goes all the way to the other end of the trailer to hook up a Color Control GX back to that one Cerbo GX. it would still need power but I would have tapped into a 12V source nearby that hole. But I guess it's a moot point if the system will not allow for both my Touch 50 that's already installed plus a Color Control GX. That is what you are saying, correct? Both a Touch 50 and Color Control GX on a single system is absolutely a no go? Thanks again. Really helpful.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem nicolas-poitras commented ·
Correct. A Cerbo or CCGX but not both.

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Sorry, a cerbo is a computer, touch50 a touchscreen. They are made to operate as a pair.

2 |3000

nicolas-poitras answered ·

I know. I have a Touch 50 connected to a Cerbo GX. I realize the Touch 50 is the touch screen and the Cerbo GX the computer. What I was asking was if I could also connect, in addition to the Touch 50, a Color Control GX (this device: https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/color-control) so I could control my Cerbo GX and system from two places.

2 |3000