question

oinapea avatar image
oinapea asked

Why does it start to smoke when I change the "RX port function" to "LOAD OUTPUT ON/OFF NORMAL"?

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my charger (I´ve made a resumé in the end of this post, for a short version)

I bought a SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and 3x50w solar panels for my SAAB Toppola.

We have tested everything after the installation and there is nothing wrong with the cables, but for some reason, the charger won't let any voltage out? If I put a cable directly from the plus pole on the battery, and straight to the fuse box, everything works fine.

I bought a brand new battery and replaced the bad one.

I also made some changes within the app, just to see what happened, and when I changed the "RX port function" to "LOAD OUTPUT ON/OFF NORMAL", everything started to work. Great. So I thought, but after a short while, it started to smell funny and also a little bit of smoke came out of the left side of the regulator (it seemed to be there, at least). So we disconnected it again.

The thing is, when I was getting the vehicle back, everything worked fine. The solar panel installer guy said that he had put a battery in the back, although it was in quite bad shape, just to show that everything was working properly.

So, everything worked when I picked the car up. But later on that day, when I was going to show my son the new stuff, nothing worked. So maybe the battery was discharged completely and then something happened? This was when the old, bad battery was still there.

Another thing I noticed was that the plus cable from the extra battery charger was disconnected, which I fixed. But nothing happened regarding the power.

I have tried to read the manual multiple times, but everything seems correct according to it. .

And oh, by the way, I got a failure notice (I think that was the day everything stopped working), it said "#18 CHARGER EXCESSIVE CURRENT". And I guess that has something with the old, bad battery to do....?

So just to make a quick resumé:

- the old battery probably got totally discharged
- I have a new battery placed
- everything looks good, except the solar charger won´t let any voltage out
- everything works when I connect the battery to the fuse box directly
- everything works when I change the setting to "RX PORT FUNCTION" -> "LOAD OUTPUT ON/OFF NORMAL", but it starts overheating (don´t know exactly what)
- one cable from the ordinare car battery charger was loose, but I fixed that

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Most likely a wiring fault, which may have damaged the MPPT. Best go back to the installer.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oinapea avatar image oinapea commented ·
Yeah, I guess this is the case....thanks for your reply.
0 Likes 0 ·