question

aronnn avatar image
aronnn asked

Mppt 100/15 charging problem

Hey everybody,

Got this victron charger online on Amazon and before shipping it back, I would like to know if I m doing something wrong.

I have 2x100 watt solar panel connected to this charger.

I connected the solar regulator to a 100 ah battery.

By checking it with the multimeter, in this moment I'm getting for example 28 volts from the solar panels, and the battery is been charged with 15,7 volt. The orange light is blinking fast, and the battery before connecting it, was 12,2 v.

Nothing changes if I switch from one program to another...

I tried to change battery and also the solar panels, and I got the battery charged with more than 16v..

I think it's too much also because after 15 minute the battery started to boil last time..

What should I do?

Thank you a lot, I m going crazy

Aron

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

buzzlightyear avatar image buzzlightyear commented ·

Are you panels connected in series? What do you mean by

Nothing changes if I switch from one program to another... 

Are you using VictronConnect, is this the SmartSolar version or the BlueSolar version of the MPPT?

How is the battery connected to the MPPT? On my BlueSolar 75|15 the polarity of the PV and the battery are swopped around, I suspect to avoid the + from battery being next to - of PV. Are you able to post a screenshot of the battery profile selected?

0 Likes 0 ·
aronnn avatar image aronnn commented ·

Thank you a lot for answering!

This is my battery, this morning I tried to connect it to a single 200 w panel, with my mppt solar charger (I attached a picture of it, I don't have any other equipment), and the battery was before connecting it, at 12,9 v.

Immediately after connecting it, i measured 29 v on the line from the solar panels, and 16,7 v on the line fork the solar controller to the battery.. And the orange light was blinking really fast, like it was in bulk stage.

It's too much, right?

I have another mppt charger, 100/50 also from victron, and I tried to connect it also to a panel and a battery in the same conditions, this morning, it was giving 14,1 v to the battery..

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Aron. It sounds like your unit is set to 24V batts, which could happen when you first hooked it up (in incorrect order).

Seems you have comms, so go into batt settings and make sure it's set to 12V. Hopefully it's that simple..

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

This one:

0 Likes 0 ·
1556112856857.png (18.0 KiB)
aronnn avatar image aronnn commented ·

Ok I see..

What do you mean, by I have "comms" ?

Ànd how can i go to my battery settings? There is no display or any button to press.. Maybe there is somewhere a small pin to do a reset, but if there is, it's not even written in instructions..

I don't know what to say..

The first time I connected it, I first connected the mppt to the battery, than to the solar panels (that where covered), and than I uncovered the solarpanel and the system started to (not) work..

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ aronnn commented ·

"Communications", like phone access.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:mppt-solarchargers Section 4.1

0 Likes 0 ·
aronnn avatar image
aronnn answered ·

The 3 Programms I can select for charging that I was talking about before are:

One is called Battery saving.

One has

Low voltage load disconnect 11,1

Automatic load reconnect 13,1

The other one has

11,8 v

14v

Nothing changes if I go from one to another.. The charging current stays at 16,7..is it to high?

Thank you

4 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

16.7V (which isn't 'current') is too high, so you must fix it. The other figures you quote seem relevant to an inverter, not an mppt. Or is it me going crazy?

Where are you getting this from? And what other kit do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

I think you are going crazy John :)
Those figures can be the parameters for the load output disconnect.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Yeh. You just cured me, ha. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
aronnn avatar image aronnn JohnC ♦ commented ·

The 16,7 v I got this measurement with a multimeter. And it's what the mppt is sending to the battery..

If it's too high, how can I fix it?

There doesn't seem to be any way to customize it..

Could it be just that my mppt controller is defect and that I have to send it back? I just bought and it immediately started to do like this..

The only equipment I have is this mppt controller, the solar panels and the battery..

Sorry for my chaotic way of writing.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·