question

peregrines avatar image
peregrines asked

MPPT 450/100 - Overvoltage?

Hi!

I ordered a MPPT 450/100 for my 2x 8 (380W each) panels solar System.
A friend told me the 450/100 would be perfect for my needs if I split my panels into 8+8.
Now I read (too late) that my 450/100 can only handle 450V total.
What happens when I have 2 times 8 panels connected and the voltage exceeds 450V? Will this destroy my MPPT?Total watts is 6040W (3020 per string).
Or does "maximum Voltage of 450V" relate to each string?

Thank You!!!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@peregrines

Maximum voltage refers to the max input and yes for each string. It can track each one separately.

See the Array sizing.

But the max VOC is usually 8 x float voltage of batteries.

You can download the MPPT spreadsheet to check your setup or do it online here.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peregrines avatar image
peregrines answered ·

THANK YOU :) :) :)

2 |3000

najab avatar image
najab answered ·

Is there any chance you could reconfigure the strings to 4 x 2 rather than 8 x1 or are your cable runs already sized and in place? From what I've seen and read the voltage limit really is a hard limit and you risk damaging your MPPT if it's exceeded.

I don't know if you're in a cold climate, but don't forget to factor in that panels will produce a notably higher voltage on cold, clear winter days.

2 comments
2 |3000

peregrines avatar image peregrines commented ·
My Problem is, there is about 30 meters between MPPT and my Solar Arays. So runing them 4x2 definitely exceeds my cabeling limits :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ peregrines commented ·
@peregrines @peregrines
You would also need to make sure you do not exceed the input current limit on each traker. But x7 in each string will probably be the best use depends on what battery float is.
0 Likes 0 ·