question

rob954 avatar image
rob954 asked

bmv-712 and battery charger

Hey Guys, looking to install a BMV 712 into my boat to monitor my "house battery"

The battery i want to monitor is connected to battery switch with positions OFF/ 1 / 2 / COMBINE

Both batteries share the same ground wire, Point A- System Ground, Point B- Battery 1 ground, Point C- Battery 2 ground.

Do i connect the shunt between Point A and Point B if i want to monitor Battery 1 (plus port B1 to Battery 1s positive)?

- what if i wanted to monitor Battery 2, would it connect to the same position or go between points B and C?

Finally a simple charging question. I have the "ProMariner ProSport Battery Charger Gen 3"

a "smart" 3 bank 20 amp charger.. Obviously my positive lead still connects to the positive on the battery, but do i connect the negative to the batteries negative or do i connect it to the shunt, and if so does it matter what side of the shunt?

BTW the "house battery" is a 12v 210AH Lifeline AGM

thanks in advance

Rob

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

I believe on the shunt or in the manual it will say one side is for battery negative and the other side is chassis / ground. I have a 40ft land yahct and that's how I did it. Just make sure that all power from the battery grounds if multiple have to flow through the shunt before going to chassis.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

read this:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quickinstallsheet_BMV70x_part1_2.pdf

I think you're correct in the assumptions, shunt goes between negative terminal of battery(bank) you want to measure, and all the rest (loads / chargers / etc, so in your case the common negative connection), positive (thin red with inline fuse) wire to positive terminal of same battery (bank)

this way al current in/out of the battery gets measures by the shunt.

2 |3000