question

Erendil Lo avatar image
Erendil Lo asked

SmartSolar weird absorption duration

Hello. I use a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 (48V model) on a (partly sulfated) 12V AGM battery, with VictronConnect's AGM spiral cell preset (i.e. 6h max, adaptive duration absorption, and a 1A tail current that has never been reached). Firmware is 1.59.

With 12.4V-12.5V in the morning, absorption lasts 1h-1h6m when it should last 2h (1/3 of max duration). I chalked it up to an unstated gradient of the applied factor. However, this morning, my battery was sitting at 12.71V but the absorption phase lasted 2h19m. Any thoughts on this?

screenshot-victronconnect-20220915-093748.png

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

this morning, my battery was sitting at 12.71V but the absorption phase lasted 2h19m. Any thoughts on this?

If the PV output drops, and the battery voltage also drops (0.1v?) below the absorption voltage, the absorption time gets extended.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Erendil Lo avatar image Erendil Lo commented ·

Thanks for pointing out something that I should've read in the first place. I searched the manual for what you described and found it in section 2 of chapter 6. Now, since this part of my question is clearly answered in the manual and it isn't actually "weird" behavior, should I edit it out of the question?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic