question

sesshoumaru avatar image
sesshoumaru asked

MPPT RS 450/200 Experience

Hi

Has somebody good experience with the Victron MPPT RS 450/200?

I am planning to expand my PV system (currently 2 strings with 10x300W panels each, AC coupled via Fronius IV) to be able to black start my system via DC-coupling. First I want to add 7 panels with 400W (25V). Later more. As the 450/200 has 4 Trackers I am in favor of it.

Some special thoughts?

I want to connect it to my 3p Quattro System (5000VA) via the 1000A busbars - 8 US2000C batteries.

Thanks

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
adding a 200A charger to a 25 V(?) system is a bit of overkill for 2.8kW of modules.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Mike Dorsett commented ·
@Sesshoumaru

I think the RS models are 48V output only, just to further complicate things.
0 Likes 0 ·
sesshoumaru avatar image sesshoumaru kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Well, I have a 48V system -- so that should fit the bill.
0 Likes 0 ·
sesshoumaru avatar image sesshoumaru Mike Dorsett commented ·
I want to add more modules over the course, hence the 4 trackers.

My DC system is 48V based. The 25V were in regards to the PV panels :D

0 Likes 0 ·
M. K. avatar image M. K. commented ·
Hello, my advice is to install a small DC coupled system via the 250-100 or similar MPPT in the 250 range.

But if you are really want to use the RS my advice is to use 2 No.'s 450 100 instead of one 450 200.

Otherwise, stick to the AC coupling just rewire the Fronius to Output-1 of the Quattro and connect the load to output-2 (since it is controlled) of the quattro and cut off the load at 15% SOC for Victron to form the grid for Fronius to start.

0 Likes 0 ·
sesshoumaru avatar image sesshoumaru M. K. commented ·
Thanks for your input. I guess 2x the RS 450/100 sounds like a good compromise.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Sesshoumaru,

It's a powerful unit, and has a minimum start up voltage of 125V, so make sure that your panel array configuration is compatible by using;

https://mppt.victronenergy.com

You might find there is a more suitable model, or perhaps that is the one.

I agree that an automatic black start from PV is a good design decision, but there are many other MPPT models that also meet that criteria.

On my roof I haven't yet used all the possible string inputs of my 450/200 MPPT, perhaps another array next year.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sesshoumaru avatar image sesshoumaru commented ·
Thanks for the hint.

So it might be better to go wth 2x MPPT RS 450/100. Also considerng fail-safe system. I also plan to grow in steps, so it sounds more pausible to go with the smaller unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ sesshoumaru commented ·
Perhaps,

That will require considerably more physical space though.

0 Likes 0 ·
sesshoumaru avatar image sesshoumaru Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I am a master of penning up things. I hope I will get that done.. and also add another 20 kwh of battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
blue-sails avatar image
blue-sails answered ·

Interesting setup. I like the RS 400 MPPT chargers.

Out of curiosity what brand of 400 solar panels produce 25-volts?

If you use DC circuit breakers and DC ground fault devices, do they work with more than 300 volts DC?

1 comment
2 |3000