question

tom-chester avatar image
tom-chester asked

Multiplus 5000 / Smartsolar RS 200 A - charge rates, zappi, immersion

Hi, I'm new to victron.. I would like to buy a multiplus 2, rs200 a MPPT, cerbo GX. They will be grid tied.

I was hoping to buy my battery later in a few months but I'm guessing it isn't possible to run the equipment without a battery. Other brands of hybrid inverter you can add the battery later. The MPPT's are built into inverter though.

Second question - The MPPT I have chosen here is much higher power than the 5000w inverter. If I start with a fairly small battery bank but a big array, can I throttle down the charge rate from the MPPT ?

Also Does anyone have experience of running the MP2 with immersion controllers and Zappi EV chargers and any issues?

Tom

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
tom-chester avatar image
tom-chester answered ·

Also - I have read about people connecting AC Grid tied inverters to their multiplus. What exactly is this achieving?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

1. The Multi II works fine with my immersion controller. This has its current transformer on the incoming grid connection to the Multi so it has first dibs on any power that is available for export.

2. In my case I already had a grid-tied solar PV system. I have now got it on the AC-Out of the Multi so it can continue to work in a power cut, and the Multi can exercise overall control to limit the eventual export to 16A without the need for an external current sensor.

2 comments
2 |3000

tom-chester avatar image tom-chester commented ·
Many thanks for your reply, very helpful. So any grid tied inverter can be connected to the 'ac out' on the Multi and is tricked into thinking that there is no power cut ?? Is there a limit as to how powerful the connected inverter could be? And although it is 'AC out' the power is fed back in aswell to the house via the Multi ?
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image sharpener tom-chester commented ·

Right on both counts. You can have the whole house on AC-Out 1 as well, or put non-critical loads on AC-Out 2 which then get disconnected in a power cut along with anything on AC-In. But the grid-tie inverter cannot be bigger than the Multi, as in a power cut situation the power has instantaneously to be diverted into the battery, look up the "1:1 rule" here or on the web.

1 Like 1 ·