question

Terry LaGrone avatar image
Terry LaGrone asked

GlobalLink 520 Temperature Limits

Does anyone know the minimum temperature of the GlobalLink 520?

I recently changed out my CerboGX (temperature limit -20 C) with the GlobalLink 520. Using device with SmartSolar 100/30 MPPT (temperature limit -30 C) and SmartShunt (temperature limit -40 C). I will find out this winter whether or not this unit will work all winter in my unheated Alaska location.

The extremely low power consumption (measured at 10 mA) of this setup should survive the winter with flooded lead-acid batteries. With the CerboGX, I had to shut down the loads including CerboGX during -30 C temperature conditions.

Global warming has helped since it has been over 10 years since I have seen -40 C at my location.

Old setup for previous years used industrial rated (-40 C) components for all parts of the system; however, power consumption required me to limit operation to sunny days only.

temperaturegloballink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Terry LaGrone

From the datasheet: -20°C to +50°C.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Terry LaGrone avatar image Terry LaGrone commented ·
The updated datasheet has a lot of good information that was not in old version. Thank you.

I have found that most of my devices will continue to work at slightly lower than rated temperatures. My industrial certified devices are all rated for -40 C. Internal chip temperature is usually 10 degrees warmer than coldest outside temperature.

This winter will be first full season with GlobalLink 520.

1 Like 1 ·
Terry LaGrone avatar image
Terry LaGrone answered ·

Currently my GlobalLink 520 is operating fine at -30 C. Internal temperature is -7 C. Is there any other real world cold temperature experience? I am in a warmer part of Alaska and would be interested to see if unit will operate in colder regions. Spec sheet shows -20 C minimum.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic