question

mls avatar image
mls asked

Can i use an old battery charger as input to MPPT for charging a LiFePo4 battery?

Hi,

I have a new LiFePo4 battery that i need to fully charge up, but i dont have a suitable charger for it.

Can i use a regular battery charger (used for AGM) as input to a 100/20 MPPT charge controller (set up for lithium) to charge the battery?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Apart from being non-standard use and so all bets off, I doubt it will work. Victron MPPTs will not start charging until input voltage is over actual battery voltage by more than 5V. If you try, at your risk.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matrixrat avatar image
matrixrat answered ·

Might be unconventional but needed a quick solution to charge some 12v LiFePo4s so am feeding a Victron 75 || 15 with a pair of 24 volt 8 Amp switchmode supplies wired in series. A hefty reverse polarity protection diode was added to each supply. Been in regular usage for months, no smoke.
The 75 || 15s Max charge current must be chosen to suit the capability of the supply.

As for supply voltage, you need +5v more than Vbat to wake up MPPT. I would not suggest using a battery charger as the supply. A 12v charger may not wake up MPPT. A 24v charger probably will but the charger and MPPT are going to chase each other around the ballpark.

2 |3000