question

chimjana avatar image
chimjana asked

Multi rs solar/generator

i can not get the inverter to except the generator, the power shows on app going backwards. i started with cerbo on manual and it worked doing 1500 watts input from pos 7000 then contact clicked and back to nothing coming in i have to have some sttings fighting each other i think. generator new and runs house easily.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
chimjana avatar image
chimjana answered ·

i have a Able diesel generator at 7 kva. that is a bit missleading as in the data sheet that is online it says generator input if i knew it did not except generator power i would of bought another model.

last night i set the cerbo to turn the generator on when the volts got low and it works but you can not put any load onto the ac side of things. it was charging the batteries and then the pump started and the contactors started clicking on and off.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi,

Sorry, we definitely didn't intend to mislead, and also want the support to already be available.

I can't see any mention of generator support in the datasheet that is currently linked from the product page, and I have written a warning notice on the first page of the manual saying that generators are not yet supported.

I am currently adding an additional chapter to the manual that specifically outlines the known major current limitations with the Multi RS (specifically generator and ESS support).

Can you please post a link to the online datasheet that refers to generator input? I can also correct it.

I don't have a time frame for the update to be released, the first version with support is currently in an internal beta test, so I am hopeful that it is sooner rather than later, but have no timeline.

I know it's not what you want to hear - but an interim workaround solution could be to add a bypass switch so you can run loads directly from the generator, and also charge the batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
chimjana avatar image
chimjana answered ·

How long do you think before the firm ware will update

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @chimjana

I have sent you an email.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @chimjana,

Generators are not yet supported with the current firmware.

Generator support for the Multi RS is still in development, and will receive ongoing improvements.

Apologies in the mean time.

Can you give some more details about the make and model of your generator? It might help the engineers who are working to add support.

2 comments
2 |3000

k-k avatar image k-k commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

wouldn't it be simpler to build an universal 230 V "fake-pv-module" synchronous rectifier(-mppt) to produce 55Vdc (or 18Vdc , 27Vdc - you guess what i mean?!) At least the rectifier

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa commented ·
Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) , so does that mean that the Multi RS is not valid for off grid yet as it won't support a generator input? Is that the case even if I control the Generator from a Cerbo GX?
0 Likes 0 ·