question

ddewindt avatar image
ddewindt asked

BMV712 SOC not updating with solar

I recently added 1000 watts solar to my 4 100 amp Lithium batteries. I am getting a good amount of amps from the mppt controller to the battery bank, but the SOC on the BMV712 only continues to decrease. It’s as if the BMV is not seeing the solar charge coming in. I have the negative wire from the mppt output going directly to the battery side of the BMV shunt along with the negative from the battery bank to the same shunt post. Is this the correct way to connect the mppt? I seen in another post someone suggested that the negative of the mppt needs to be connected to both sides of the shunt, in order for the BMV712 to see what the solar is contributing to the battery charging. Because the SOC is not correct, I use the battery voltage as my guide to what is really the battery charge level. The voltage on both the BMV and the Victron mppt are in sync and read about 13.7-13.8, when the mppt goes into float, so I know I am fully charged. I have followed all of battleborns suggested settings for both the mppt and the BMV712, for my 4 lithium batteries.

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Have a look at the BMV quick install guide .

For the BMV to measure the solar charge current, the shunt has to be between the mppt and battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ddewindt avatar image
ddewindt answered ·

The wiring diagram’s referred to do not address a Mppt wired into the circuit. When you say the shunt should be in between do you mean the negative of the mppt goes directly on the battery side of the shunt and that is the only thing that should be connected to that stud? How then does the negative of the battery connect in?

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

You need to have a serious talk to your seeing eye dog.

bmv.png

0 Likes 0 ·
bmv.png (146.8 KiB)
ddewindt avatar image
ddewindt answered ·

Ok, so the mppt negative lead should be connected to the load and charger side of the shunt? I didn’t realize the mppt is on the load side of the shunt

Sorry for my ignorance

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

An easy fix for you.

Have a look at the BMV Youtube tutorial. It explains the BMV configuration setup.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic