question

charl-de-bruyn avatar image
charl-de-bruyn asked

How to set ESS mode via modbus

I want to control when to use keep batteries charged and optimized for battery life via modbus, what register can I set to switch between this exactly like the portal does ?

1662021924212.png

ESSCCGX Color Control
1662021924212.png (26.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If you google “victron modbus register” you will get a link to the doc.

This is also easily done via node red.

https://www.victronenergy.com/download-document/6195/CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list-2.80.xlsx

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charl-de-bruyn avatar image charl-de-bruyn commented ·
Thanks, already got that, what I can't figure out which writable register sets the correct settings ?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ charl-de-bruyn commented ·
I see the issue.

This definitely can be set via the ESS control node in node red though.

0 Likes 0 ·
neuer-user avatar image neuer-user nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I don't see a corresponding setting in the "ESS control" node:

1670594066053.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1670594066053.png (40.3 KiB)
johan-b avatar image johan-b charl-de-bruyn commented ·

I have the same question.

In the Modbus TCP register list, there are writable addresses to disable BatteryLife, change ESS mode, etc...

However it seems if there is an active SoC limit due to BatteryLife, the new settings through modbus only have effect for a very short time. BatteryLife takes over immediately again and your settings are overwritten again.

In another thread, it was mentioned to change the SOC limit, but it doesn't seem to work for me. The new limit is used, however it seems not possible to disable BatteryLife or change ESS mode when battery discharge is already disabled due to battery life.

0 Likes 0 ·
neuer-user avatar image
neuer-user answered ·

Same problem here. I did not find the setting in node red either.

2 |3000

sebdehne avatar image
sebdehne answered ·

I think it is a combination of:
- register 2902 (/Settings/Cgwacs/Hub4Mode)
- register 2900 (/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/State)

Try chaging the parameters in the VRM-portal and you should see the values in 2900 and 2902 changing.

2 |3000