question

dennis avatar image
dennis asked

Temporarily use MultiPlus II without batteries?

Hi all,

is it possible to temporarily use MultiPlus II without batteries?

What i want to achieve is to build the system like it is designed, but place the batteries next year. The power should be exported fully to grid in this time. I am going to build like this:

Would it be with feed in to grid only possible to build without battery?

Thanks a lot! Please don't ask why i am going to do this :-)

Multiplus-II
ess-multiii.png (54.6 KiB)
ess-multiii.png (59.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

You need a battery bank for the system to have a stable dc bus, it won’t power up without it either. If you don’t want to invest in batteries right now, get a cheap battery bank and set it to keep batteries charged in the ESS menu, and disable “ac output in use” also in ESS menu. That way all solar power will be exported to the grid via the AC1 input

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

I’m pretty sure the MP will power up and run without a DC bus. (Mine do.) But the solar export probably won’t work, as you say.

1 Like 1 ·
Anil Ghatikar avatar image
Anil Ghatikar answered ·

It would be easier to get a fronius to export power to grid and later buy the multi without Smartsolar charge controller ( if the no of panels are 8 or more that is )

2 |3000

Rasmus Mikkelsen avatar image
Rasmus Mikkelsen answered ·

Bumping an old topic, Im in same situation. Did you ever figure it out Dennis?

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Nothing much has changed since and so the answer above remains. The MultiPlus still needs a battery to operate as designed.
1 Like 1 ·