question

trialsvan avatar image
trialsvan asked

AC Input Current Limit ignored and greatly exceeded

I have a mobile installation in a van, which ignores the AC input current limit and trips the AC breaker when loads are applied even if they are relatively small. The loads are all switching supplies for computers and power supplies.

With the system running with say 150W load, and adding an additional 50W load causes a loud buzzing noise, output overload warning LED to flash on briefly, the Quattro cooling fans to start and sometimes the ACin breaker to trip. Adding a larger load, say 500W, makes the situation worse and the buzzing can persist for 1 to 2 seconds, drawing in excess of 20kW from ACin 2.which causes the shore supply voltage to collapse and trips the breaker.

The buzzing does not seem correct, it is not the same sound as the earth/neutral relay switching, which is positive 'clunk'. It sounds more like an instability between input & output. Trying combinations of PowerAssist on/off, UPS on/off makes no difference, hence the return to factory defaults (see below).

Any ideas what may be going on ? Is this a faulty Quattro ?

• Quattro 48/5000/20 -2x100 firmware V494
  • CCGX Colour Control firmware V2.89
  • Digital Multi Control
  • 4x Pylontech U3000C

The Quattro and CCGX have been returned to factory defaults with the following configuration:

• ACin 1 Generator (not connected), current limit 3.9A (900W)
  • ACin 2 Shore UK grid, max current limit 12A in DMC, typically 4A to 5A via DMC control (1.1kW)
  • DVCC forced
  • CCL 50A
  • SoC 100%
  • ACout 1 load varies between 150W and 2kW
  • ACout 2 load <500W
  • UPS on
  • PowerAssist on

Update: 1 Sep 2022

Here's an example event, exceeding the 5A input current limit. The sampling period (1 minute) has missed the peak load, but you can see how the shore supply has collapsed as a result of the excessive current drawn. This is plugged into a building gird supply. The system was running happily on batteries with a SoC=50% when the shore supply was applied.

1662030154275.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1662030154275.png (28.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Barry Clark avatar image
Barry Clark answered ·

This appears being the loss of mains detection monitor. The LOM tugs the phase from time-to-time to determine if the mains is present. In doing so, some high currents can flow. This is exacerbated if the mains is weakened by long cable runs and/or high resistance in the mains feed in and instability ensues.

I had the same issue when commissioning my Quattro. Initially, I powered it from a 13A mains plug connected to AC_IN1, prior to commissioning. The Quattro was buzzing and thumping along with the lights in the house and garage flickering.

The solution is changing the LOM to type 2 algorithm. This requires the grid password. There is a note on VE config stating something like that this is a better algorithm but has yet to be certified on UK networks. It works for me!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tnt369 avatar image
tnt369 answered ·

Same here. Finally i had to disable the LOM and install an external protection unit...

2 |3000