question

bcborn avatar image
bcborn asked

Smartsolar MPPT 75/15 setup

Good Day,

I installed my Smartsolar MPPT 75/15 in my Travel Trailer today and set up the Absorption, Float and Equalization for my Interstate 12V Deep Cycle Battery under user defined.

The Equalization as per battery specs is 2 hours, Controller = 1 hr max. Assume I cannot change anything here.

The Battery Specs say the following for Absorption; 15.6V Taper to 4% of 20hr Ah rating and hold for 2-3 hours. Besides the 15.6 entry how do I input the Taper Details?

I do not have anything connected to the load terminals, Currently it is set to Battery Life. Do I do anything with this setting?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks,

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Victron mppt controllers are pretty much standard 3 state chargers - CC up to Abs voltage, CV at abs voltage until the current tapers off to a set value, then reduces CV to float voltage.

So, by the look of the manufacturers sketchy data, the Absorption voltage of 15.6 (seems high) is held until the charge current reaches 4% of the 20Ah rating ( this does not need to be set in the mppt). What would normally happen next is that the charger drops to the float voltage - not holding the abs voltage for a further 2- 3 hours. This does not even stack up with a standard equalisation charge - which would be 14.4V until charged, then 15.5V for 2 -4 hours, then float at 13.6v.

Load terminals are for loads - these will disconnect at low battery voltage preventing over discharge.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bcborn avatar image bcborn commented ·

Thanks Mike,

Here is the Manufactures spec sheet

HD24-DP Cut Sheet jb.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic