question

deangi avatar image
deangi asked

Multiplus 12/1200 clicking with Hair Straighteners

We have had a full Victron system installed in the motorhome and very frustrated to find that the Babyliss hair straighteners that my partner uses cause the inverter to click constantly.

Everything else works fine.

They work on a low power Jackery that I use in my day van!

Any suggestions. Can’t believe Jackery works with something that Victron won’t.

Thanks

Dean.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

deangi avatar image deangi commented ·
Any input from Victron???
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
deangi avatar image
deangi answered ·

Looks like the Victron is getting ripped out then and replaced by an "inferior" product that works.

Already had to remove the Orion due to heat issues, so overall, very disappointed with the Victron hardware.

Software platform is great; shame about the hardware.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The hair straighter will be using a temp/power regulation circuitry that is incompatible with the multi.

Pretty common problem with cheap devices.

1 comment
2 |3000

deangi avatar image deangi commented ·
It works with other "cheap" devices, and they work with a Jackery! You would have thought the Jackery had inferior components to Victron?
0 Likes 0 ·
deangi avatar image
deangi answered ·

Can someone from Victron please reply to this? The U.K. distributor doesn’t have an answer.

10 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
Plenty of reports on here of clicking when used with hair straighteners, hair driers on lower heat, coffee machines etc. These devices end up operating on only a half of the ac power cycle so the inverter is trying to go from full power to no power 50 or 60 times a second.
1 Like 1 ·
deangi avatar image deangi pwfarnell commented ·
I am just glad I haven’t installed Victron in my home yet. Was about to install a large off grid system but if the inverters can’t handle standard electrical items, will have to look for any other vendor.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Use the search feature at the top of this page.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@DeanGi

As an owner of a cheap hairdryer and other devices, I can say it is more of an issue on the inverters with the huge torroid inductors in them, no issues with the RS type inverters. Same is true for both Victron and other brands.

The Jackary mentioned above probably has no transformer base at all, so would not likely have the noise. As mentioned by other guys here, they chop the sine wave, and introduce 'noise' into the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
deangi avatar image deangi Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thanks for that.

I guess the question is, is it safe to use with this noise?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ deangi commented ·
Which would you prefer to replace: the inverter or the hair machine?
0 Likes 0 ·
deangi avatar image deangi nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Happy to replace the hair straighteners but with what? No one can point me to a set that would work.

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ deangi commented ·
Lets put it another way.

The noise is disturbing you.

You have a warranty and this isn’t an exclusion, nor are alarms being generated.

So, either be conservative with its use, or get an appliance which has a “better” power control mechanism.

Personally, I don’t like it when expensive equipment that can make flames generates uncomfortable noises.

The inverters are tough. Make the call that makes you comfortable.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ deangi commented ·

I have been abusing/using our 3kva for years with the hair dryer and havent had an issue to date. But it is a few minutes . I think if it was a longer running or higher powered appliance I would have replaced it long ago.

0 Likes 0 ·
sparkpoint-solar avatar image sparkpoint-solar commented ·
We are observing the same behavior. Please please please, someone from Victron reply to this!
0 Likes 0 ·