question

dunnp avatar image
dunnp asked

Multiplus not charging

I have a Multiplus 12/1600/70 in our caravan charging a 200AH LiFePo4 battery. It has been working fine but seems to have stopped part way through a charge cycle today and has the Charger and Alarm LEDs on. My BMV says the battery is only 40% but the Multi thinks it's 100%. There is no charge going to the battery and manual suggests those LEDs mean it's a battery connection problem.

I checked the inverter function and it's fine so there's no problem with the battery connection.

Any clues on where to look? Any fuse or breaker in the charging side of the Multiplus? The mega-fuse is OK because the inverter side works.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Phil

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-MultiPlus-Compact-800-1200-1600-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf

page7:

The AC input voltage is switched through and the charger is switched off. The battery charger can not reach battery end voltage (bulk protection mode).

This is a setting in the charger, 'Stop after excessive bulk' uncheck if you have situations where it can take long to charge (low AC in current, DC users active, big battery, etc)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

Hi Boekel

I tried that las night, no difference. But what I thought was strange is that after changing and sending that setting, it did not ask for a restart. I just sent the modified setting, not a full resend.

As an experiment this morning I put everything back to defaults, changed to the lithium profile and sent the full settings. It then asked to restart and everything came back to normal. I tweaked a couple of other inverter thresholds and sent those (modified only) and again it asked for a restart.

So perhaps all it needed was a restart but for some unknown reason the Multi and/or VEConfig had a hiccup and didn't prompt for one. Just guessing!

Anyway, it all seems good now so I'm back to being a happy Victron customer.

Cheers

Phil

2 |3000