question

neofytos avatar image
neofytos asked

Quattro clicking sound

Hello, i have installed an off grid system with 3 quattros 15000/48 and a fronius symo 20 kw. When charging from fronius with full power one of the quattros started doing a clicking sound like a relay turnig on and offwhat is .your advice?
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

13 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Doesnt sound as it supposed to, please contact the distributer to have the unit tested. By the way it could be also be a instabile grid voltage or wiring issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neofytos avatar image
neofytos answered ·

Define wiring issue

2 |3000

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

There could be a faulty wiring /connection in the system. Please have this checked by a experienced installer or your distributer

2 |3000

louisfzim avatar image
louisfzim answered ·

I have one doing something very similar.

Quattro 48v / 10000va / 140amp with Freedom Won LifePO4 Battery.

When the Grid is turned off (100% inverting and completely off Grid) the inverter makes a clicking sound. It has done this from brand new install. It seems to be working fine, but don't like the sound it makes.

What could this be?

9 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Louisfzim

That doesn't sound good, please contact your installer / distributor about this!

0 Likes 0 ·
billk avatar image billk Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Mr Boekel, I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but in the US there are a number of us who live hundreds of miles from a qualified Victron installer/distributor. Until your equipment is more widely used in this country those of us who recognize its quality need help until more qualified installers become available.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ billk commented ·

If this is a hardware problem there is nothing Daniël can do from where he is.

0 Likes 0 ·
louisfzim avatar image louisfzim Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) , Thanks for the reply. I will contact the installer.

0 Likes 0 ·
madisonzim avatar image madisonzim Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel, this unit was installed by our most competent partner and installer. In fact it was a replacement of an old 10KVA Quattro which had an old outdated board now replaced with the latest version running on EES. Only addition was the 40KWh Freedomwon. No cable changes were done and the new inverter made that noise from day one of installation. The client is obviously concerned about the noise and at this stage all we could offer is a replacement. Do you want me to open and send a RMA?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ madisonzim commented ·

Hi @Madisonzim

I don't know what the cause of this sound is. if an installer cannot find the cause, he / she needs to contact the distributor for assistance, replace / repair.

An installer has to check all wiring, setting, connections in the unit and outside, etc. Some installers (especially in remote locations) also have repair knowledge.

I know it can be a problem when the system is at a distance, luckily in most area's a replacement unit can be at location the next day.

0 Likes 0 ·
madisonzim avatar image madisonzim Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

We are the distributor for this unit and the unit was installed by one of our teams. I have personally looked into it and cant identify the cause either.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ madisonzim commented ·

Ok I assume you have set the RMA in motion?

0 Likes 0 ·
3716rm avatar image 3716rm commented ·

Did you ever resolve this issue? Got exactly the same

0 Likes 0 ·
ehsab avatar image
ehsab answered ·

Seems like I was not the only one with this kind of sound.

videozip-3.mp4 (13.8 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

CristiMV avatar image CristiMV commented ·

Hi.

What have you done about the noise when charging?

I just replaced Multi with a brand new Quattro 48/10000. When charging it's doing the same noise, above 500W. When below 500W the sound fades. What I also noticed is that is doing this until the fans start...after, again it fades away.

Any idea? Is it normal?

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

This is my brand new Quattro 48/10000. This sound starts when charging with more than 500W and it stops when fans start. The cables are tight, nothing is loose. So? Is it normal or not? My old Multi 48/5000 was not sounding like this when charging. On the other side, I see quite some people here with the same issue. What was in the end the outcome?

trim.142D15BD-FD8B-4707-B44E-0D640B536BC1.MOV

2 |3000

ahmadoof avatar image
ahmadoof answered ·

it sound like there is some thing inside the inverter and very close to fans....it might be a wire or a ribbon cable or just plastic isolation sheets hitting fan at low speed.... but at loads are higher than 500 watts the fan throtle pushes that light object away.

Try to open the inverter and check inside.

2 |3000

tg1 avatar image
tg1 answered ·

Was there an outcome to this issue?

2 |3000

CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

In my case, the Quattro was initially repaired (power module replaced), but as the clicking sound and overheating continued also after, the unit was replaced. Since then no more issues.

2 |3000

ernie avatar image
ernie answered ·

I have the same issue, mine sound like that when drawing between 500 and 1000w but stops when going over that. 10kv Quattro

2 |3000

dion-bell avatar image
dion-bell answered ·

Hi all,

I seem to have the same issue,

System:

• Off-grid with gen backup.
  • 2 x 15kVA Quattro's in parallel, single phase.
  • 4 x Blue Nova batteries 62.5 HC range
  • 18 x MPPT 150/70

When inverting, the slave Quattro makes an erratic clicking noise. It was never very loud so did not think too much of it. The master Quattro also makes a slight more consistent clicking noise. Site has been running for 5 months now.

Both units clicking noise goes away completely when there is generator feed in.

There are no loads connected to AC 2. No voltage detected with a multimeter too.

Both units draw same amount of DC amps and have not had overloading issues.

All seems fine however I would like to know what exactly is causing this noise and how to rectify it.

Please see attached videos, 1 video shows the slave Quattro first with a clicking noise then pans to the master with a softer higher frequency clicking noise. The second video shows how both units do not click when the generator is running until I disconnect the generator from the Quattro's.

Best regards,

Dion

2 |3000

ron-jeremy avatar image
ron-jeremy answered ·

I'm posting for a neighbor that doesn't have internet. They just bought a Quattro 5000/48 for their off-grid cabin and the inverter makes a very loud 'clunk' every 4 minutes or so. It's a substantial noise that can be heard from a distance or even felt if you're right next to the inverter.

When this clunk happens, the power goes out briefly and comes back on. If they disconnect the AC loads, the clunk still happens but with a longer frequency interval (like every 8 minutes or so).

Their entire system (along with PV & batteries) was bought at the local distributor that also pre-wired and preconfigured everything. My neighbors electrician simply bolted everything to the wall and connected the cabin AC loads, PV, and battery bank. By the way, when I say the distributor is "local", I mean they're about a full day's commute away (each way).

So far they have not been able to resolve the issue over the phone and by giving the distributor remote access (I think using a phone as a hot spot).

They have gone over the unit top to bottom but have not found any loose connections or wires.

Any ideas?

victron-quattro-inverter.jpeg

2 |3000

Charlie avatar image
Charlie answered ·

im starting to shift my decision to get the Sol-Ark instead of the Victron. This is terrible.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic