question

stevelectric avatar image
stevelectric asked

Maximum charge voltage of new SmartSolar 24V Ve.can models

Dear community,

I'm bulding a system with 8s Lithium batteries (28V) and would like to know the maximum battery charge voltage possible with a SmartSolar MPPT 150/85-Tr VE.Can 12/24V 85A. (SCC115085412)

Since it is a Lithium battery there is no need for sophisticated charging curves, it should just charge up to max voltage, ideally to the 33V allowed by a MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-32

Thanks!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I would be careful doing that, follow the suppliers charging specs. You don't want to force the BMS to intervene on overcharging.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stevelectric avatar image stevelectric commented ·

You are right. My setup does contain a BMS. My question is more about the technical / physical limits of the MPPT charger. Imagine the BMS tells the Victron equipment to charge up to 33V, will/can it do it? The technical limit of the battery is 33.6V

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You can't connect the BMS directly to the MPPT's, you would need a GX and then wire all the device comms to it. At this point, with DVCC enabled, assuming your BMS is supported and sends CVL and CCL parameters, the mppt's and inverter will do as they are told (within their specs, of course).

3 comments
2 |3000

stevelectric avatar image stevelectric commented ·

Yes, thank you, indeed I intend to use a GX as well. Excuse me not having outlined the whole system in detail! But now we reached the most complicated question: What is the max batt voltage spec for the abovementioned charger when used in a system with Cerbo and MP2 with DVCC enabled? Also interesting and simpler: What maximum float voltage can be configured with custom battery settings when using this unit in a standalone scenario?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ stevelectric commented ·
Download Victron Connect and use the demo feature to simulate your proposed battery settings.
1 Like 1 ·
stevelectric avatar image stevelectric klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Good idea, tried that immediately. The demo feature allows a max setting of 34,78V which would suit my needs perfectly.

0 Likes 0 ·