question

simat avatar image
simat asked

Availability of Isolated USB - RS485 transceiver

Hi,

Due to the global issue of chip stocks, the Victron recommended "Hjelmslund Electronics USB to RS485 Iso converter" hasn't been available for a while.

Can anyone recommend another Isolated RS485 transceiver for a Multiplus II 48V/10000, is anyone using a RS485 repeater ?

My ET112 modbus meter will be 50 metres away at the supply and baud rate will be 9600.

Best regards

Simon.

Multiplus-IIrs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
simat avatar image
simat answered ·

I can confirm that the following works with an ET112 over 50 mtrs away.

The RS485 bus is terminated with a 120 ohm resistor at both ends across A and B, note the 2 x 6N139 opto-isolators and the gap on circuit board, also has 4 x PTCs that would direct a surge / lightning to GND.

rs485-repeater.jpghttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133340194827

The RS485 adapter used was a cheap FTDI £10 one from Amazon. I've used these on a domoticz system reading other modbus meters for several years.

rs485-adapter.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SD65BVF

I confirmed it had a FTDI chipset and was recognised by the Cerbo GX using dmesg on the command line in Venus OS over SSH.

ftdi-adapter.jpg

Hope this helps

Simon.

rs485-repeater.jpg (179.9 KiB)
rs485-adapter.jpg (193.3 KiB)
ftdi-adapter.jpg (108.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

I had a similar problem, and this was my solution. It will not have the same level of "isolation" but I considered the risk to other parts of the system to be low. As a cost effective solution it works for me. Just be sure you don't buy a USB to RS485 dongle that uses the CH340 chip!
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/148423/et112-communication-link.html

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Another way would be to use a USB isolator to form the isolation barrier there, then use the Victronn USB-RS485 cable.
Something like: DSD TECH SH-G01A or any other model using a ADUM3160 chip.

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

I use the DTK RS485 converter with a range over 1km with no issues.

it has a USB port which plugs into the raspi and the other end wires into the smart shunt ET112 etc.

DFR2658C is the model i use

I have sold hundreds of them for use in Victron and Fronius systems with RS485 with remote smart shunts.

You can buy them on ebay or ali express

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 comments
2 |3000

gazza avatar image gazza commented ·

Which is what Victron describe as a Zigbee connection right…?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie gazza commented ·
Hi

Correct they just buy them in and resell them, just like i do, its the same thing.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·
2 |3000

dansonamission avatar image
dansonamission answered ·
3 comments
2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
@dansonamission how does it fit when USB ports are close each other, is that integrated plug too thick? If not, it looks like perfect solution.
0 Likes 0 ·
dansonamission avatar image dansonamission Juha Tuomala commented ·
@Juha Tuomala fits fine, it’s the same one that victron sells. The plug is no bigger than a standard cable, maybe just slightly longer.
1 Like 1 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala dansonamission commented ·

Good, I like the formfactor that it has bare wires at other end. Gotta get few of those. Thanks. @dansonamission

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes