question

robertkd avatar image
robertkd asked

RFI problem MPPT 150|35

Hello I have been testing the MPPT150|35 and have found that it produces RFI (radio frequency interference) on the lower HF bands notably on the 40mtr band.

Is there any way to reduce the RFI or even eliminate it completely?

Shouldn't European products have statements of EMI/RFI performance?

Interestingly my Orion TR Smart Non-Isolated 12/12V-30A is very quite as far as RFI is concerned and going to the MPPT 150|35 I kinda expected the same or better RFI levels.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @RobertKD

Can't tell about EMI/RFI statements but we had this topic before. One suggestion is to look at the PV cables. See https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/90278/smartsolar-charge-controller-mppt-15035-switching.html#answer-form

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robertkd avatar image
robertkd answered ·

Yes, thanks I saw that post and I have also tried some ferrites but still an issue with 150|35 MPPT not and issue with 12/12V | 30 DC to DC unit just the MPPT??

2 |3000

ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron answered ·

@RobertKD I'm experiencing the same issue and I've narrowed it down to the MPPT.

if I disconnect the PV or turn off the MPPT (250/70) the RFI interference goes away. on my side its huge, it goes from 1.8Mhz up to and including 28Mhz separated by 30kHz.

The funny thing is that I migrated from EPEVER (CHINESE) to Victron to get rid of the RFI and it turns out It's actually worse.

I have large toroids mix 31, 2.4 in. O.D., 1.4 in. with maximum amount of turns in both PV and the 35mm wire between the MPPT to the Lynx Distributor (wires are 50cm/19inches).

The RFI is so much that I'm sure somebody with a pacemaker will have issues even down to 40hz.

Honestly, I really think Victron should pay attention to this issue.

See the screenshots of the spectrum display.

screen-shot-2022-12-02-at-181056.png

screen-shot-2022-12-02-at-181042.png

screen-shot-2022-12-02-at-181028.png

screen-shot-2022-12-02-at-180944.png

2 |3000

robertkd avatar image
robertkd answered ·

Wow that is broadband RFI noise!

I'm getting some drifting birdies mostly in the 40Mtr band and the idea was to go remote for the radio quietness not to mention the soulful peace and quite. I would have thought with the move by the EU to reduce RFI these MPPT's would have been very quite.

Thanks for the spectrum screen grabs, very interesting.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Let’s face it, quiet HF bands are a thing of the past. The noise pollution from many different sources is an indication that RFI is not even considered as a design parameter. In Australia we have had LED lights available at local hardware stores that literally wipeout VHF TV channels when the light is turned on so it is not limited to the HF bands. The ultrasonic antifoul systems also wipe out the Medium wave band as well. Try listening to an AM radio station in a marina. The noise floor is so high that in many cases it is impossible.

Broadband over power line systems haven’t really taken off but they were very bad for RFI. Deliberately putting square waves on power lines is simply RF noisy.

On my boat to use the HF radio, I need to turn off the Victron MPPT, the Fridge and the Xantrex inverter.

Few people realise or care about the pollution of these bands. Provided we have a reasonably clear 2.4GHz or 5GHz band for wifi most people are happy.

2 |3000