question

ningaloo avatar image
ningaloo asked

Marine SmartSolar MPPT with Mastervolt charger

I have 480Ah 12V AGM batteries with 400W of solar running through two SmartSolar MTTP controllers. I also have a SmartShunt and recently connected everything to a RPi Cerbo/Venus.

The installation is on a boat in the Mediterranean which also has a Mastervolt 230V 50A shore power charger and a 125A alternator on the engine.

I consume about 1.5kW/day but rarely generate this much from solar.

I have the following questions:

1) The Mastervolt states it stays in bulk until 14.4V is reached at which point it switches to absorption at 14.2V. Float is 13.6V.

The MPPT have 14.4V for absorbtion and 13.8 for float.

The solar remains in bulk when on shore power as the Mastervolt reduces voltage to 14.2 as soon as it switches to absorbtion.

Should I set the MPPT bulk and absorbtion to match the Mastervolt? The Mastervolt is not configurable.

2) The SmartShunt is charged voltage set to 13.6, 0.2V below float. Is this correct?

3) I am using VE Smart Networking with synchronised charging.

Should I be using DVCC? It doesn't seem to add much for my installation.

4) The alternator seems to charge at about 13.6V. how will this affect the MPPT?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

1 - this setup will reduce shore power use slightly. I'd leave it as is.

2 - probably better to increase to just under absorption. Assuming much of your charging is from solar consider increasing charge detection time and reducing tail current to prevent false synchronisation.

3 - seems little point in DVCC, it will only control the MPPTs and they will self regulate based on voltage.

4 - it won't, the voltage is lower.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.