question

ludo avatar image
ludo Suspended asked

BMV 712 Smart as VE-Bus "master"

It would be nice if the BMV could also send the SOC, then maybe it would be possible for the Multiplus to receive this information (and the battery voltage) through the VE-Bus BT dongle.

This would really enhance the system, as many features of the multiplus rely on SOC.

thx

Ludo

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

A BMV is a VE.DIRECT device, it has NO Ve.BUS interface and hence cannot be VE.BUS MASTER.

Ve.Direct is a point to point serial protocol (RS232), VE.Bus is a Serial Bus protocol (modified RS485).

The communication between Ve.Direct devices, Ve.CAN and Ve.Bus devices is managed by a Cerbo or other VenusOS devices. The source of SOC can be very different, it can be sourced from a BMV/SmartShunt or for instance from a battery BMS. Only the Cerbo knows what source should be used, as you can configure it there, and the cerbo takes care of CC/CV charging via DVCC. Ashortcut via BT would confuse this logic.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Hello Johann,

sorry, I've seen lots of installations (RV) with thousands of Euro's of Victron material installed, but I haven't come acros a Cerbo yet.

So using BT wouldn't confuse anyone or anything ;)

The BMV makes BT from VE-direct, the dongle can translate BT to VE.BUS, where is the problem ?

For me Cerbo is out of question as long as it relys on direct wiring to my VE.Direct devices, they all have BT, Cerbo has BT, can read all sorts of data over BT, but only if this data is NOT supplied by a Victron device.........

best regards

Ludo

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Ve.Bus MASTER is role a bus controller takes to controll and manage the slaves on the bus, it is reserved for special devices, like control units, BMS or even the Quattro itself in multi-phase or parallel installations, the Cerbo could be elected as bus master if there is no ve.bus BMS connected - the BMV is not supposed to manage the serial bus of those devices.

If your idea is just to share the SOC via BT, it could probably be done, but the devices will still remain autarc and not managed by the BMV, even if they receive and process the data.

2 |3000

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

"If your idea is just to share the SOC via BT, it could probably be done"

This is exactly what i (we?) need

thx

Ludo

2 |3000