question

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh asked

Rpi Display Setup - No dimming slider on Venus OS 2.87 (or 2.89)

@Kevin Windrem

There does not appear to be a screen dimmer slider when installing the RpiDisplaySetup package.

Have you seen this - do you have any suggestions?

I am doing clean installs on 2.87 and 2.89 as I am reworking/re-releasing all my dbus services and wanted to test on clean installs.

See https://github.com/LHardwick-git/Victron-Dbus-Services which is work in progress.

I could not get my simple scripts to install display dimming even though the display blanking does work. I have done this many times before without problem on previous releases. I thought I would try your SetupHelper and RpiDisplaySetup I have done several clean installs today on fresh SD cards and then tried installing the Helper and the the display setup but cannot get the display slider to appear.

The Display Blanker works so my display and language screen looks like this:

screenshot-2022-08-19-at-160021.png

Any Ideas?

PS - I would be interested on getting my dbus services to install through the SetupHelper, perhaps we can email about it offline.

displayvenus os v2.80
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Dimming is not available for HDMI displays. Unless you select the RPI 7' touch screen in the setup script, the dimmer won't show up in the menu.

I can help you integrating your services into a "package" which SetupHelper/PackageManager can manage. You can contact me directly at kwindrem@icloud.com

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurenceh avatar image laurenceh commented ·

Excellent: I thought if I ran the setup from setup helper it shoiuld auto detect the 7" display.

I checked the file /data/setupOptions/RpiDisplaySetup/displayToControl It said RPI.

However I re-ran the setup script from RpiDisplaySetup and confirmed it Was RPI display. Then after a couple or error lines:

rm: can't remove '/data/setupOptions/RpiDisplaySetup/blank_display_device': No such file or directory
rm: can't remove '/data/setupOptions/RpiDisplaySetup/backlight_device': No such file or directory

It then installed and the slider appeared.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

You can use a semitransparent overlay to dim the screen, a few lines of code.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic