question

fairbaa avatar image
fairbaa asked

MPPT 75/15 does not show data when I click on the device

Hi!

I am just about done with this controller as the software just does not work.

First of all after initially installing everything was working fine on the install. So much so I did a video about the experience.

Then there was a an App upgrade on my iPhone this then ensured I couldn’t see the device properly as I was in this loading data loop that never ended.

After a month I came back to the boat and the app had been fixed with a new update. But I now I see I needed a firmware upgrade. I upgraded to v41 on the controller. This has made things even worse.

Now I can see the controller via Bluetooth, I click on the controller in the app and it just goes into detail about the controller i.e. the Info page. Nome of the details about charge rate or any of those screens appear.

I’m absolutely, utterly frustrated by the software on this controller. It only ever worked once and it just seems so flaky. As a reliable controller for on-board a boat this doesn’t seem to fit the bill as the software is literally ruining the controller.

Oh and I’m so tired of pulling the controller from where I’ve fitted it. To remove the cables, reset and then hope this maybe fixes the software. It should not be this hard. The controller should just work without any hassle.

Has anyone else had this? Am I doing something blatantly wrong?

If this is the standard experience of perpetual updates breaking the controller and flaky software updates I think I’m going to have to bin this controller and get something that just works.

What’s your experience? Is this software always this dodgy? Is what I’m doing incorrect?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Sorry to hear your frustration and I feel your pain! I do own a BlueSolar 75/15 (ie without bluetooth) and I must admit I have never had an issue with it as you describe. I have used it connected to a RPi3B+ with Venus OS and then via WiFi. I have done multiple firmware upgrades without the issues you describe.
I have never been a fan of bluetooth and often have other devices (audio!!) that connect one day and not the next. Do you have a laptop you could take to your boat and connect to the MPPT via a VE.Direct to USB cable? If so I would start with that and check the firmware version and whether the MPPT is setup correctly?? If it is.... I would disconnect the PV and battery to the MPPT and leave for a minute or two. Then re-connect battery first and go to your phone. Delete the Bluetooth connection in your phone settings and reboot your phone. Go back and research bluetooth devices to find your MPPT for a new connection and see if you get any data? Finally re connect PV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.