question

chesapeake avatar image
chesapeake asked

Initial BMV-700 set-up, newbe questions

I'm setting up a BMV-700 for the first time. I have 8 Trojan T-105 6v fla batteries wired in series/parallel for a 12v 900 AH @ 20 Hours bank. Do I set the BMV-700 at 900 amps? This house bank is 100% isolated from the start bank and is the only thing I want to monitor. The shunt is wired to the battery bank only on the battery side, and the charger inverter and house panel loads are on the charger side.

Also, The 12v plus is wired to the plus side of the bank. The monitor shows the system voltage at 6v instead of 12.

Thanks for any help. I got this monitor from Amazon, so there is no dealer for me to call for tech support.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Chesapeake

The perfect video for you is here.

And yes use 900AH for capacity.

You need to take power off the bank off the most negative and most positive battery in the bank. Check with a meter.

Maybe post a picture if your wiring then we can help check the setup?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chesapeake avatar image chesapeake commented ·

Thanks for the link! I did wire the + cable for the shunt to the + post on the farthest diagonal on the whole bank from the negative post. Multimeter shows 13.5 volts at float charge.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ chesapeake commented ·

The system voltage detection is automatic on first connection. Maybe you tried it on a single chain accidentally.

See section 3.7 of the manual, which redirects you to the section on how to set it manually.

0 Likes 0 ·
chesapeake avatar image chesapeake kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for the reply. I’ll need to look at that section of the manual when I get back to the boat. It was definitely connected across the whole bank the first time, so the 6 volt reading is a mystery yet.
0 Likes 0 ·