question

lawrence-craig avatar image
lawrence-craig asked

Multiplus going off when under load

Hi there,

I have a Muliplus connected to a generator and battery bank. My water maker (1500W, AC) is connected to the Multiplus. When I try turn on my HP water maker pump, the Multiplus switches OFF. It then comes back on after 20-30s. The pump itself rotates about 1/4 turn (shaft is free moving). I suspect this is some sort of current protection. I have tried the Multiplus in pass thru mode and it still occurs.

For info, it did this last week when I tried to run the water maker. However, it started after a couple of restarts. There is a 16a RCD and MCB protecting the circuit but it is working fine.

Can anyone provide insight?

Edit: It is a Multiplus 3000. The Generator is an old Paguro 4000 (3500W). If I wire the HP pump directly to the Generator (bypass multiplus), it starts first time.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You don’t say which multi but it is probably the surge on startup causing an overload which auto restarts after 30 seconds. Fitting a soft starter may help assuming your multi isn’t undersized.

You also haven’t shared anything about the generator and the settings applied to the inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lawrence-craig avatar image lawrence-craig commented ·
Thanks for your quick response Nick. Good point, I've added the details. It's a 3500W generator and a Multiplus 3000. When under load, the water maker draws 1600W. I don't have power assist or dynamic current limit enabled as I only have 400ah of lead acid batteries, I fear about the draw on them if anything happens to the generator when running the water maker.
0 Likes 0 ·